San Jose State University ::
Faculty & Staff Web Pages: Ammar Rayes's Home Page
Publications & Presentations
- "Network Modeling and Simulation: A Practical Perspective," John Wiley & Sons, to appear in Feb 2010 (with M. Guizani, B.Khan, and A. Al-Fuqaha),http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470035870.html
- “Designing ATM Switching Networks,” McGraw Hill Companies, Inc., ISBN 0-07-025217-3, (with M. Guizani). http://www.allbookstores.com/author/Ammar_Rayes.html
- “IP Based Smart Services,” Cisco Press, in preparation.
- "Method and Apparatus for Measuring the Availability of a Network Element or Service,” U.S. Patent No. 7,620,714, Issued on Novermber 17, 2009, http://patft.uspto.gov/.
- “Isolation Approach for Network Users Associated with Elevated“Isolation Approach for Network Users Associated with Elevated Risk,” U.S. Patent No. 7,607,021, Issued on October 20, 2009, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Link Sizing using Joint Consideration of User Behavior and Traffic Characteristics,” U.S. Patent No. US 7,492,711, Issued on February 17, 2009, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Policy-Based Security Management Controller,” U.S. Patent No. 7,237,267, Issued on June 26, 2007, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Method and Apparatus for Preventing Spoofing of Network Addresses,” U.S. Patent No. 7,234,163, Issued on June 19, 2007, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Method and system for Re-establishing Communcation Link in a Network by Using Viral Communication,” U.S. Patent 7,151,884, Issued on December 19, 2006, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Method of Estimating Call Level Traffic Intensity Based on Channel Link Measurements,” U.S. Paten No. 6560204, 20 claims, Issued on May 6, 2003, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Network Designer for Communication Networks,” U.S. Patent No. 5,787,161, 19 claims, Issued on July 28, 1998, http://patft.uspto.gov/
- “Algorithm and Metrics for Measurement of Run-TimeAvailability and Performance for Network Devices and Services,” U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL-320242, Filed on October 2003.
- “A Topology-Oriented Procedure for Real-Time Availability Computation,” U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 404902, filed on August 2004.
- “IPTV Subscriber and Security Management,”U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 950286, Filed on August 29, 2006.
- “Apparatus and Method for Secure and Entitled Data Transfer Over the Public Internet,” U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 953753, Filed on March 30, 2007.
- “Topology-Aware Attack Mitigation”, U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 959583, Filed on July 24, 2009.
- “EMBEDDED COLLECTION AND INVENTORY SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR FACILITATING NETWORK SUPPORT FOR AN INSTALL-BASE NETWORK ”, U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 360104, Filed on August 1, 2010.
- “Enhanced Smart Services Using Intelligent Mobility ”, U.S. Patent Application No. CPOL 971953, in progress of filing.
Selected Refereed Journal Papers:
- "Advanced Security Management in Metro Ethernet Networks," The International Journal of Network Management,January2010, Volume 2. Number 1, pp. 65-80, http://airccse.org/journal/nsa/1010s6.pdf.
- "Multi-domain restoration with crankback in IP/MPLS networks," Optical Switching and Networking Journal Management, August 2010, with F. Xua, M. Pengb, M. Esmaeili, and N. Ghan.
- “Traffic Grooming, Routing, and Wavelength Assignment in WDM Transport Networks with Sparse Grooming Resources”, Computer Communications Journal, March 2007, with O. Awwad, A. Al-Fuqaha, and W. Alanqar, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science.
- “Opportunistic Channel Selection Strategy for Better QoS in Cooperative Networks with Cognitive Radio Capabilities”, IEEE JOURNAL ON SELECTED AREAS IN COMMUNICATIONS, VOL. 26, NO. 1, JANUARY 2008, PP 156-167, A. Al-Fuqaha, B. Khan, M. Guizani, O. Awwad, and G. Ben Brahim, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4413148&isnumber=4413132
- "A novel steady-state genetic algorithm approach to the reliability optimization design problem of computer networks,"International Journal of Network Management, Volume 19 , Issue 1, January 2009, Pages 39-55, with H. M. Alazemi and A. M. Mutawa, http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1498629, .
- "Operation Management of IP Broadband Access Networks," Computer Communications Journal, Volume 26, Issue 7, Pages 679-690, May 2003.
- “Link Sizing for Multi-Media Traffic Transported Over IP,” Cluster Computing: The Journal of Networks, software Tools and Applications, Special Issue on “Internet Scalability: Advances in Parallel, Distributed, and Mobile Systems,” Vol. 4, No. 4, October 2001, with M. Guizani, and A. I. Alfuqaha.
- "Application of Shadow Price in Capacity Expansion of State- Dependent Routing," Journal of Network and Systems Management, Vol. 4, No. 1, March 1996, with P. Min.
- "Estimation of Exogenous Traffic Based on Link Measurements," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 43, No. 8, pp. 2381-2390, August 1995, with M. Hegde and P. Min.
- “Analysis of Routing Policies in Broadband Networks," IEEE Journal on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 125-136, August, 1995, with A. Mandure and P. Min.
- “State-Dependent Routing: Traffic Dynamics and Performance Benefits," Journal of Network and Systems Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 125-149, June 1994, with M. Hegde and P. Min.
- “Capacity Expansion uses Joint Consideration of User Behavior and Traffic Characteristics,” submitted to the International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology,Special Issue on "Management of IP Networks and Services".
- “Joint Considration of User and Packet Behavior for Capacity Analysis of Wireless Networks", submited to appear in the Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal, with M. Cheung.
- “Distributed Topology Control in Large-Scale Hybrid RF/FSO Networks: SIMT GPU-Based Particle Swarm Optimization Approach", submited to appear in the International Journal of Communication Systems, with O. Awwad, A. Fuqaha, G. Ben-Brahim, and B. Khan.
Selected Refereed Conference Papers:
- "Prediction of Performance Degradation in Telecommunication Networks Using Joint," IEEE 2010 International Workshop on
Management of Emerging Networks and Services, with a. Al-Fuqaha, D. Kountanis, H. Abed, A. Kamel, and R. Salih.
- “Intelligent Service Monitoring and Support,” Accepted for publication, IEEE ICC 2009 Conference, with A. Al-Fuqaha, M. Guizani, and D. Kountanis.
- "Topology-aware Attack Mitigation in Large Enterprise Networks" Accepted for publication, International ICST Conference on Security and Privacy, with Z. Qian, Z.M. Moe, and D. Jeffe.
- “Performance of WDM Mesh Networks with Limited Traffic Grooming Resources,” IEEE WOCN 2007, Singapore, July 2-4, 2007, with O. Awwad and Ala Al-Fuqaha, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentCon.jsp?punumber=4284119
- “Using Energy-Efficient Overlays to Reduce Packet Error Rates in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks,” IEEE ICC 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, June 10-15, 2006, with G. Ben Brahim, B. Khan, M. Guizani.
- “Autonomous systems and self management - hype or reality?” The First International Conference on Digital Telecommunications , July 6, 2006 - Silicon Valley, USA
- “Link Sizing using Joint Consideration of User Behavior and Traffic Characteristics,” Proceedings of the 4th Generation Mobile Forum, July 2005, San Diego, CA, USA, with Michael Cheung.
- "Applying a service-on-demand policy management framework to an ETTx environment," IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium 2004, pp. 101-114, with M. Cheung, A. Clemm, and G. Lin, http://dblp.uni-trier.de/search/author?author=ammar+rayes
- “Security Management in IP Metro Ethernet / ETTx Networks,” Proceedings of the 19thInternational Conference on Security and Management, vol. 1, pp. 183-189, June 2004, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, with Michael Cheung.
- “Capacity Expansion using Joint Consideration of User Behavior and Traffic Characteristics,” Proceedings of the 6th World Wireless Congress, May 2005, Palo Alto, CA, USA, with Michael Cheung.
- “Intrusion Detection and Prevention in IP Metro Ethernet / ETTx Networks,” Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Security and Management, pp. 75-79, June 2003, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, with Michael Cheung.
- “Managing Ethernet-to-the-Home Networks,” Global OSS, Orlando, Florida, March 2002.
- “Common Management Architecture for Third Generation IP-based Wireless Networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCN-2000), Chicago, Illinois, September 2000.
- “Operations and Management of GPRS Wireless Data Networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCN-2000), Chicago, Illinois, September 2000, with S. Nayak.
- “Integrated Management of IP Based Networks" Proceedings of the Service Provider Solutions of NetWorld & Interop 99, Atlanta, Georgia, September 1999.
- Performance of Rate Control Multipoint Routing Algorithm in Broadband Networks," Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, March 1998, with A. Maunder and P. Min.
- "Analysis of Rate Controlling Link - Leaky Bucket with Finite Server," proceedings of the Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 33-38, March 1997, with A. Mandure.
- "Analysis and Modeling of Internet Traffic on the Public Switched Telephone Networks," Proceedings of The International Teletraffic Congress, ITC-15,Washington DC, pp. 643-652, June 1997, with J. Gorden and K. Murti.
- "Capacity Expansion of Least Busy Alternate Routing With Shadow Price," proceedings of the IEEE 1995 GLOBECOM Conference, Singapore, pp. 1369-1373, November 1995, with P. Min.
- "Integrated Methodology for Supporting ATM network Performance Management and Planning," proceedings of the Twenty-nine Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 460, March 1995.
- "Routing and Bandwidth Management in ATMNetworks," IEEESymposium on Planning and Design of Broadband Networks, Montebello, Quebec, Canada, November 1994.
- "Real-Time Traffic Estimation in Circuit-Switched Networks," Proceedings ofThe International Teletraffic Congress, ITC-14, Antibes Juan-Pins, France, pp. 1175-1184, June 1994, with P. Min and M. Hegde.
- "Capacity Expansion under State-Dependent Routing Schemes," Proceedings of the Twenty-eight Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, pp. 237-241, March 1994, with P. Min.
- "Performance Analysis of State-Dependent Routing," Proceedings of the Twenty-seventh Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 695-700, March 1993, with M. Hegde and P. Min.
- "Model Based Estimation of Exogenous Traffic," Proceedings of the Twenty-seventh Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 126-131, March 1993, with P. Min and M. Hegde.
- "ISDN Planning in Cluster Networks," Proceedings of Bellcore Symposium on Performance Modeling,Bellcore, Livingstone, New Jersey, pp. 217-226, May 1990, with R. Gowin.
Selected Refereed Technical Magazine Papers and Panels
- "Panel: Does the world still need generic management protocols," IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium 2006, http://www.ieee-noms.org/2006/.
- “Integrated Management of IP Based Networks,” IEEE Communications, April 2000, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 48-53, with K. Sage.
- “Advances in Internet Telephony,” Guest Editorial in the Special Issue of the IEEE Communication, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 44-46, April 2000, with M. Guizani and M. Atiquzzaman.
- “Internet Telephony: Guest Editorial,” IEEE Communications, April 2000, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 44-46, with M. Guizani and M. Atiq.
- Running the Special Issue: IEEE Communication, Special Issue on “Advances in Internet Telephony,” (Co-Edited with M. Guizani —University of Florida and M. Atiq—University of Dayton), Vol. 38, No. 4, April 2000