Claire F. Komives, Ph.D.
Preferred: (408) 924-4002
- B.S Chemical Engineering, Tufts University. (1985)
- M.S Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh. (1990)
- Ph.D Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh. (1993)
Positions and Employment
- 1985: Summer Intern, Biopure Fine Chemicals, Boston, MA.
- 1985-1986: Product Development Engineer, Koch Membrane Systems, Wilmington, MA.
- 1993-1994: NSF Int’l Postdoctoral Fellow, ETH-Zurich, Institute for Biotechnology, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1994-1995: Post Doctoral Fellow, ETH-Zurich, Institute for Biotechnology, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1995-1996: AAAS Fellow, USAID, Child Health Research Group, Arlington, VA.
- 1996-1999: Research Engineer, DuPont Central Research & Development, Wilmington, DE.
- 1999-2005: Assistant Professor, Biomedical, Chemical & Mat’s Engr, San José State, San José, CA.
- 2005-2012: Associate Professor, Biomedical, Chemical & Mat’s Engr, San José State, San José, CA.
- 2007-2008: Visiting Scientist (Fermentation Group), Genencor, Palo Alto, CA.
- 2012 - : Professor, Biomedical, Chemical & Mat’s Engr, San José State, San José, CA.
- 2014-2015: Visiting Faculty, IIT Delhi Department of Chemical Engineering.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
1985: Member, American Institute for Chemical Engineers
1993: Member, American Chemical Society, Division of Biochemical Technology
Program Chair, San Francisco meeting 2010 (invited) (over 550 technical papers presented).
Division Chair 2012
2016: Indo-Universal Collaboration on Engineering Education (IUCEE) “Core-team member”.
Publications and Presentations
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Komives, C. F., Sanchez, E. E., Rathore, A. S., White, B., Suntravat, M., Balderrama, M., Cifelli, A. and Joshi, V. (2016), Opossum peptide that can neutralize rattlesnake venom is expressed in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Progress. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1002/btpr.2386
- Claire Komives; Towards quality and consistency in Indian engineering education; Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, 29(1), 2015, pp. 1-6.
- Claire Komives; Inquiry-based laboratory for teaching students design-of-experiments; Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, 28(2-3), 2015, pp. 1-6.
- Ahmet Bozdag; Claire Komives; Michael C. Flickinger, "Bacillus methanolicus can grow on 2 M methanol and the ribulose monophosphate pathway may limit the rate of detoxification of formaldehyde at high methanol concentration" Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology July 2015, vol 42, issue 7, pp. 1027-1038.
- Dewi Nilasari**, Nir Dover, Sabine Rech, Claire Komives (CK correspondence author); Expression of Recombinant Green Fluorescent Protein in Bacillus Methanolicus; Biotechnology Progress, 28(3), 2012,662-668.
- Claire Komives, Michael J. Prince, Erik J. Fernandez, Robert Balcarcel; Integration of Biological Applications into the Core Undergraduate Curriculum: A Practical Strategy, Chemical Engineering Education, Vol. 45, No. 1, 2011.
- Claire Komives, Moira Walsh; Application of Classical Realist Philosophy Principles to Engineering Ethics, No. 2011-2571; Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference Vancouver BC, Canada, 2011
- Claire F. Komives, Michael Balderrama, John Li and Elda E. Sanchez; paper 737h; Recombinant Snake Antivenom Peptide, AIChE Annual Meeting 2016, San Francisco, CA
- Claire Komives, Anti-hemorrhagic peptide from Didelphis virginiana, 2015 National Biotechnology Conference of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), session: "Stings and Bites: Development of Toxin and Venom Based Peptide Therapies" June 10, 2015, San Francisco, CA (Invited)
- Elda E. Sánchez, Montamas Suntravat, Angela Cifelli, Zishan Ahmad, Anurag S. Rathore, Claire Komives, A peptide that neutralizes rattlesnake venom in mice can be expressed in E. coli, 249th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Denver, CO; March 22-26, 2015.
- Claire Komives, New Tools for Bioprocess Scale-down, Dr. Reddy Laboratories, Hyderabad, India, March 5, 2015. (Invited).
- Komives, A. S. Rathore, A low cost process for production of snake antivenom peptide, Indian Patent Application 778/DEL/2015, March 26, 2015. (Owned by IIT Delhi).
- Komives, J. S. Schultz, Optical fiber sensors for continuous monitoring of specific biochemicals and related method, U. S. Patent No. 5,143,066, September 1, 1992.
- Komives, A. J. Russell, Centrifugal multiphase systems and method of using the same, U. S. Patent No. 5,510,247, April 23, 1996.
Recent External Funding
- Fulbright-Nehru Research Award, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Delhi, India (10/14 – 4/15).
Undergraduate Research and Education in Clinical, Pharmaceutical, Forensic and Nutritional
Sciences; gift from Keck Foundation, C. Komives (co-PI) with J. Pesek (PI); 2013-2015;
Goal is the development of research and hands-on educational modules for undergraduate
students utilizing normal phase HPLC.
- Van Lanen Award for Service (ACS Biochemical Technology Division; 2013)
- Noonan Award for Excellence in Teaching (2009)
Workshops and Short Courses delivered
- Effective Teaching: Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai India, August 2016
- Engineering Ethics: Maharashtra Academy of Engineering, Pune, August 2016
- Teaching students Design of Experiments: VIT University Chennai and RK University Rajkot (Gujarat).
- Chemical Engineering for Scientists: Dupont Industrial Biosciences (formerly Genencor, Intl.), July 2013 and August 2014, Palo Alto, CA.
- Design of Fermentation and Cell Culture Processes: ACS BIOT Short Course, March 26, 2011, Anahiem, CA (with S. Ozturk).