Selvaduray, Guna S
Professor & Department Chair
Department of Biomedical, Chemical and Materials Engineering
Preferred: (408) 924-3874
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 1969
- Master of Science, Materials Science, Stanford Univ, 1976
- Doctor of Philosophy, Stanford Univ, 1978
- Associate Professor (San José State University, San José, CA)
- Professor (San José State University, San José, CA)
Honors and Awards
- 2016: Newnan Award for Faculty Excellence, College of Engineering, SJSU
- 2015: Andreoli Faculty Service Award, California State University Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology
- 2008: Outstanding Educator Award, International Microelectronics and Packaging Society
- 2004: President’s Scholar, San José State University
- 1997: Gold Award, California Emergency Services Association
- 1997: Excellence in Scholarship Award, College of Engineering, SJSU
- 1974-1976: Fullbright-Hays Fellowship
- 1964-1969: Japanese Government Fellowship
- Solid State Thermodynamics.
- Materials for Biomedical Implants.
- Surface Science and Engineering.
- Experimental Methods in Materials Science & Engineering.
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Surfaces and Interfaces.
- Surface Coatings and Modifications.
- Pb-free Solders.
- Microelectronic Interconnects.
- Materials compatibility in biological environments.
- Utilization of Pb-free solders in micro- and opto-electronics.
- Surfaces and surface modifications including adhesion and bonding mechanisms.
- Earthquake hazard mitigation.
- Aihara, H., G. S. Selvaduray, A. Y. Craig, and J. Moskito, “Surface Characteristics and Biocompatibility Study of Electropolished Wrought Co-Cr Alloy L605 for Biomedical Application”, Proceedings of 2008 International Medical Devices Conference, Oct 1-3, 2008, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Leung, D. and G. Selvaduray, “Effect of Design Factors on Microvia Reliability of Flip Chip Ball Grid Array Polymeric Substrates,” Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, No. 5, p 104-115. (2008)
- Aihara, H. and G. S. Selvaduray, “Surface Characterization and Biocompatibility of Co-Cr Alloy L605 Electropolished in 15 vol % Phosphoric Acid”, Proceedings of 2008 Translational Biomaterial Research Symposium, Society for Biomaterials, September 11-13, 2008, Atlanta, Georgia
- Drexel, M., G.S. Selvaduray, and A. Pelton, “The Effects of Cold Work and Heat Treatment on the Properties of Nitinol Wire", Proceedings of Materials and Processes for Medical Devices Conference, Palm Desert, California (September 23-25, 2007)
- Chun B., H, Aihara, A.M.-C. Kuo, K.Jaladi, G. S. Selvaduray, and A.Y. Craig, “Effect of Microblasting on Surface Characteristics and Cytotoxicity of NiTi”, Proceedings of Materials and Processes for Medical Devices Conference, Palm Desert, California (September 23-25, 2007)
- Cruz, M. M., R. T. Winslow, and G.Selvaduray, “Effect of BGA Reballing on the Formation of Intermetallic Compounds,” Symposium for RoHS Impact on Rework/Repair/ Reprocessing, Maryland, USA (September 11, 2007).
- Vukazich, S., G. Selvaduray, and J. Tran, “Santa Clara County Soft First Story Multi Unit Building Survey”, Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, (November 2006)
- Selvaduray, G. and S. Trigwell, “Effect of Surface Treatment on Surface Characteristics and Biocompatibility of AISI 316L Stainless Steel,” Proceedings of NanoBio2006 Frontiers in Biomedical Devices Conference, Irvine, California. (June 8-9, 2006)
- Drexel, Masao J., G. Selvaduray and A. Pelton, “The Effects of Cold Work and Heat Treatment on the Properties of Nitinol Wire”, Proc. 4th International Conference on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies, Asilomar, California. (April 2006).
- Trigwell, S. and G. Selvaduray, “Effects of welding on the passive oxide film of electropolished 316L stainless steel,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, No. 166 p 30-43 (2005).
- Selvaduray, G., “Protecting Laboratory Equipment by Implementing Nonstructural Hazard Mitigation,” Seismic Design, Retrofit and Performance of Nonstructural Components in Critical Facilities, ATC-29-2, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California, (October, 2003)
- Selvaduray, G., and H. Bueno, "The Critical Surface Tension of 316L Stainless Steel: Implications for Stent Thrombogenicity", Proceedings ASM Materials and Processes for Medical Devices Conference, ASM International, Anaheim, California, September 8-10, 2003.
- Fariabi, S., M. Rooein and G. Selvaduray, "Structure-Property-Processing Relationships of 316L Stainless Steel Hypotubing for Manufacturing of Intravascular Stents", Proceedings Materials and Processes for Medical Devices Conference, ASM International, Anaheim, California, September 8-10, 2003.
- Trigwell, S. and G. Selvaduray, "Effects of welding electropolished 316L stainless steel as used in ultra-pure fluid delivery systems for the semiconductor and pharmaceutical industries," Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science, Vol. 59, pp 198-207 (2002)
- Selvaduray, G., "Hazardous Materials: Earthquake Caused Incidents and Mitigation Approaches," in Earthquake Engineering Handbook, W. F. Chen and C. Scawthorn, Eds., CRC Press, 2002, p 30-1 ~ 30-29.
- Selvaduray, G., W. Lee and S. Yee, "Fluxless Soldering: A Review," Microelectronic Packaging, 2001, Vol. 1, pp 289-304.
- Abtew, M. and G. Selvaduray, "Lead-Free Solders in Microelectronics," Materials Science & Engineering Reports, Vol R27, Nos 5-6, June 1, 2000.
- Selvaduray, G, "Recyclability of Microelectronic Systems," Advances in Packaging Development and Research, Edited by J.A. Marcondes, (June 2000) pp 450 - 460.
- Selvaduray, G, "Sintered Architectural Glass Tiles from Recycled Glass," Advances in Packaging Development and Research,, Edited by J.A. Marcondes, (June 2000) pp 461 – 467.
- Lee, W., L.T. Nguyen and G. Selvaduray, "Solder Joint Fatigue Models – Review and Applicability to Chip Scale Packages," Microelectronics Reliability, 40 (2000), pp 231-244.
- Selvaduray, G., "Transforming the Mechanical Engineering Curriculum to meet the Challenges of the 21st Century," Invited paper for the Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering, November, 1998.
- Selvaduray, G., "Effect of the Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake on Manufacturing Industries," Proceedings of the Sixth National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, EERI, Oakland, California, May 1998.
- Selvaduray, G., "Earthquake Caused Hazardous Materials Incidents at Educational Facilities", Seismic Design, Retrofit and Performance of Nonstructural Components, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California, (January 1998)
- Trigwell, S., R. Hayden, K. Nelson and G. Selvaduray, "Effects of Treatment on the Surface Chemistry of NiTi Shape Memory Alloys", Journal of Surface and Interface Analysis, June, 1997.
- Thomas, S., E. Hasenkamp and G. Selvaduray, "Determination of Oxygen Diffusion in Ionic Solids", The Journal of Materials Education, Vol 19, No. 3, pp 213-215.
- Hilden, J., K. Lewis, A. Meamaripour and G. Selvaduray, "Measurement of Springback Angle in Sheet Bending", The Journal of Materials Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp 185-198.
- Chao, J., S. Curotto, C. Anderson and G. Selvaduray, "The Effect of Surface Finish on Tensile Strength", The Journal of Materials Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp 199-212.
- Selvaduray, G., W. Lee and S. Yee, "Effect of Surface Treatment on the Wetting Force of Eutectic Pb-Sn Solder on Copper Substrates", Design and Reliability of Solder Joints and Interconnects, R. K. Mahidhara, et al. Ed., TMS, Pennsylvania, (1997), pp 259-266.
- Trigwell, S., and G. Selvaduray, "Effects of Surface Finish on the Corrosion of NiTi Alloy for Biomedical Applications", Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies: Engineering and Biomedical Applications, Pacific Grove, California, (March 2-6, 1997)
- Trigwell, S., G. Selvaduray and A. Singh, "Effects of Intermetallic Compound Formation on the Electrical Performance of Wirebonded Interconnects", Intl. J. of Microcircuits and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 19, No. 1, First Quarter 1996. pp 14-21.
- Selvaduray, G., "Environmental Integration and Technologies", Advanced Manufacturing: Technology and International Competitiveness, UCRL-ID-120595, Feb 1995.
- Selvaduray, G., "Undergraduate Engineering Ceramics Laboratory Development", International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 11, No. 4-5, (1995) pp 374-379.
- Selvaduray, G. and A. Singh, "Modeling of Flip-Chip-Bonded and Wire-Bonded MCM Interconnects for Electrical Performance Comparison", Intl. J. of Microcircuits and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 17, No. 1, First Quarter 1994. pp 14-21.
- Aggarwal, I. and G. Selvaduray, "Role of CuxSny Intermetallics in the Reliability of Controlled Collapsed Chip Connection (C4)", Proc. 8th International Electronic Materials & Processes Conference, ASM International, San José, California, August 1993. pp 75-82.
- Selvaduray, G. and L. Sheet, "Aluminum Nitride: A Review of Synthesis Methods", Materials Science and Technology, June 1993, Vol. 9, pp 463-473.
- Selvaduray, G., C. Zhang, et al, "Effect of CO2 on the Processing of Y-Ba-Cu-O Superconductors", Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 7, No. 2, Feb 1992, pp. 283-291.
- Selvaduray, G., "Materials Selection Parameters for Ceramic Substrates: Property-Processing Relationships", Materials Developments in Microelectronic Packaging: Performance and Reliability, P. Singh, Ed., ASM International, (1991) pp 29-35.
- Balachandran, U., D. H. Xu, G. Selvaduray, et al, "Characterization of YBCO Superconductors Sintered in CO2-Containing Atmospheres", Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 18, 1991. pp 341-355.
- Selvaduray, G., D. Richard, D. Quinn, and D. Rowland, "Relationship Between Microstructure and Physical Properties of Al2O3 and SiC Reinforced Aluminum Alloys", Interfaces in Metal Ceramics Composites, R.Y. Lin, et al, Eds., TMS, (1990) pp 271 - 289.
- Selvaduray, G. and L. Martinez, "Thin Alumina Coatings on Borosilicate Glass: Interfacial Interactions During Heat Treatment", Interfaces in Metal Ceramics Composites, R.Y. Lin, et al, Eds., TMS, (1990) pp 137 - 150.
- Selvaduray, G., M. B. Lange and D. Sullivan, "Chemical Characterization of Ceramic Substrates for Microelectronic Packaging", Proc. Symp. on Adv. Characterization Techniques for Ceramics, Electronics Division of The American Ceramic Society, San Francisco, (Oct. 1988).
- Selvaduray G. and M. B. Lange, "Ceramic Microchip Packages: Materials Selection Parameters", Proc. Ceramic Substrates and Packages, An International Symposium, Electronics Division of The American Ceramic Society, Inc. Denver, (Oct 1987).
- Selvaduray, G., "Die Bond Materials and Bonding Mechanisms in Microelectronic Packaging", Thin Solid Films, 153, (1987).
- Selvaduray, G., "Industrial Uses for Liquid Tin", Tin International, (May 1985).
- Selvaduray, G., "Industrial Earthquake Preparedness in Shizuoka and the Role of the Prefectural Government", Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp 307-318, EERI, Berkeley, Calif. (Feb 1985).
- Selvaduray, G., "Liquid Tin as a Solvent Metal and Reaction Medium", Tin and Its Uses, No. 141, pp. 12-13. (1984).
- Selvaduray, G., "Pyrometallurgical Reprocessing of Carbide Breeder Fuels", Proc. Int. Meeting on Fuel Reprocessing and Waste Management, American Nuclear Society, Wyoming. (Aug 1984).
- Selvaduray, G., "The Liquid Tin Process: An Experimental Investigation of a Potential Pyrometallurgical Process for Reprocessing Irradiated Carbide Fuels for Fast Breeder Reactors", European Appl. Res. Rept. - Nucl. Sci. Tech., Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 1451-1514. (1983).
- Ohto, T. and G. Selvaduray, "Effect of Backup Roll Length and Roll Neck Length on Profile for 4-h Mills", Iron and Steel Engineer, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 60-65. (Mar 1981).
- Selvaduray, G., and L. Heising, "Proliferation Resistant Reprocessing Methods", Nuclear Engineering International, Vol. 24, No. 292. (Nov 1979).
- Selvaduray, G., R. N. Anderson and M. Goldstein, "Separation Technologies Reviewed", Nuclear Engineering International, Vol. 23, No. 275, pp. 35-40. (Aug 1978).
- Goldstein, M., G. Selvaduray and R. N. Anderson, "Survey of Reprocessing Technologies", Brookhaven National Laboratory Report No. BNL-23083R.
Information on funding history may be provided on request.
- Reviewer for several engineering journals
- Director, Biomedical Engineering Program, SJSU
- CSUPERB Faculty Consensus Group Member (2008-2016)
- Microelectronic Packaging Specialization Area Coordinator (1991-2005)
- SJSU Research Foundation Board Member (2001-2006)
- Executive Director, Collaborative for Disaster Mitigation, SJSU (1999-present)
- Chair, Biomedical Device Conference series, SJSU (2000-present)
- Organizing Committee member, and chair, of several other conferences
Approximately 120 BS and MS students.