Scimat (Science Matters)
Scimat (Science Matters) is a new term coined by Lui Lam in 2007/2008. Conceptually, Scimat treats all human-dependent matters as part of science, wherein, humans (the material system of Homo sapiens) are studied scientifically from the perspective of complex systems. Disciplinarily, Scimat represents the collection of research disciplines that deal with humans. That “everything in Nature is part of science” was well recognized by Aristotle and da Vinci and many others. Yet, it is only recently, with the advent of modern science and experiences gathered in the study of evolutionary and cognitive sciences, neuroscience, statistical physics, complex systems and other disciplines, that we know how the human-related disciplines can be studied scientifically. Scimat covers all topics in humanities and social sciences, with emphasis on the humanities.
The idea of Scimat originated with Lui Lam in 2006. In May the next year, the first scimat international conference was organized and cochaired by Maria Burguete and Lui Lam in Portugal. Presently, a biennial scimat conference series is set up (held 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013); an international scimat committee (with 17 members, Nobelist included) was established; a scimat book series is set up (three books--Science Matters (2008), Arts (2011), All About Science (2014)--published by World Scientific).
We are now advocating a new general-education course," Humanities, Science, Scimat", which is for all majors, and trying to establish 100 scimat centers around the world. See documents below for more details. The fifth scimat conference will be held in 2015.
The Scimat Program (150514)
- International Science Matters Committee (ISMC)
- Science Matter Series (Founder and editor: Lui Lam; publisher: World Scientific)
- Books in Science Matter Series (Book descriptions and order form)
- Science Matters: Humanities as Complex Systems (2008, book summary)
- Arts: A Science Matter (2011, book summary)
- 1st SciMat Conf. Poster (2007, Portugal)
- 2nd SciMat Conf. Poster (2009, Portugal)
- 3rd SciMat Conf. Poster (2011, Portugal)
- 4th SciMat Conf. Poster (2013, Portugal)
- 人科-Chinese scimat book (2013, Renmin University of China Press)
- All About Science (2014, book summary)
- Science Defined (AAAS 2015, Lam's poster)
- The Scimat Program (AAAS 2015, Burguete and Lam's poster)
- Newton and His Apple (ppt of Lam's talk at IoP, Beijing, Dec. 5, 2014)
About Science 1: Basics (Lam's Chap 1 in All About Science, free download from WS)