Scimat (Science Matters)
Scimat (Science Matters) is a new discipline that treats all human-dependent matters as part of science, wherein, humans (the material system of Homo sapiens) are studied scientifically from the perspective of complex systems. That “everything in Nature is part of science” was well recognized by Aristotle and da Vinci and many others. Yet, it is only recently, with the advent of modern science and experiences gathered in the study of evolutionary and cognitive sciences, neuroscience, statistical physics, complex systems and other disciplines, that we know how the human-related disciplines can be studied scientifically. Scimat covers all topics in humanities and social sciences, with emphasis on the humanities.
The idea of Scimat originated with Lui Lam in 2006. In May the next year, the first scimat international conference was organized and cochaired by Maria Burguete and Lui Lam in Portugal. Presently, a biennial scimat conference series is set up (held 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013); an international scimat committee (with 17 members, Nobelist included) was established; a scimat book series is set up (three books--Science Matters (2008), Arts (2011), All About Science (2014)--published by World Scientific).
We are now advocating a new general-education course," Humanities, Science, Scimat", which is for all majors, and trying to establish 100 scimat centers around the world. See documents below for more details. The fifth scimat conference will be held in 2015.
- The Scimat Program and a Proposal
- International Science Matters Committee (ISMC) [PDF]
- Science Matters Series (books published by World Scientific) [PDF]
- Science Matters: Humanities as Complex Systems (2008, book summary) [PDF]
- Arts: A Science Matter (2011, book summary) [PDF]
- 1st SciMat Conf. Poster (2007, Portugal) [PDF]
- 2nd SciMat Conf. Poster (2009, Portugal) [PDF]
- 3rd SciMat Conf. Poster (2011, Portugal) [PDF]
- 4th SciMat Conf. Poster (2013, Portugal) [PDF]
- All About Science: Philosophy, History, Sociology & Communication (book ad & order form) [PDF]
- 人科-Chinese scimat book (2013, Renmin U of China Press) [JPG]
- All About Science (2014, book summary) [PDF]
- AAAS 2015 poster (Science Defined)
- AAAS 2015 poster (The Scimat Program)
- Newton and His Apple (ppt, talk at IoP, Beijing, Dec. 5, 2014)
- Newton and His Apple (1-hour video in Chinese, talk at IoP, Beijing, Dec. 5, 2014)
- Free download Chapter 1 by Lui Lam in "Science Matters" book (World Scientific, 2008)
- SciMat papers
- Third SciMat International Conference: All About Science (Nov. 21-23, 2011, Lisbon)
- Fourth International Scimat Conference: Humanities as Science Matters (Oct. 15-17, 2013, Porto, Portugal)