Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Tuesday, 3 - 5pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor and Associate Chair at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. Her research interests span a broad range of machine learning, data mining, social graph mining, recommender systems, and deep learning applications. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
Currently she serves as the PC Chair of IEEE BigDataService 2020, and PC member in several conferences . She has previously serverd as guest editor, program committee member, guest editor, and reviewer in numerous conferences and journals, including ACM RecSys, IEEE ICDM, IEEE BigData and CIKM among others.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching the CMPE 188 - Machine Learning for Big Data and CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics courses (Fall 2019). She was member of the Transformation 2030 Task Force on "Goal 2. Excel and Lead" and participates in several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence, the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching and received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015 and 2019.
- (9/2019) The special issue of Big Data Research journal on "Big Data for Smart Cities" is now published.
- (8/2019) Our paper, "ViSeR: A Visual Search Engine for e-Retail" (co-authored with SJSU students A. Boriya, S. S. Malla, R. Manjunath, V. Velicheti), got accepted in the Transdisciplinary AI 2019 conference.
- (8/2019) Our paper, "A Graph-based recommender system for food products" (co-authored with SJSU students Arpit Mathur and Sai Kumar Juguru), got accepted in the Graph Computing 2019 conference.
- (7/2019) Our paper, "Exploratory data analysis and crime prediction for smart cities", appears in Proc. of IDEAS 2019.
- (7/2019) Our paper, "The effect of global and local influence models on the quality of recommendations", appears in Proc. of SPECTS 2019
- (5/2019) Our paper, "With a little help from my friends (and their friends): Influence neighborhoods for social recommendations" (co-authored with Avni Gulati), appears in Proc. of The Web Conference 2019 (WWW 2019).
- (5/2019) Congratulations to my CMPE 295 team, Hunter Hsieh, Tsung-Min Huang, Hsien Fang Liu and Jiaqi Qin for winning the "Best of the show" award in the 2019 SJSU Engineering Technology Showcase with their "Intelligent Music Composer" project - a hard feat considering there were more than 200 graduating engineers demonstrating their work this semester.
- (4/2019) Professor Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence! The award recognizes outstanding achievement by faculty members who demonstrate excellence in some combination of teaching, service to students, and/or research.
- (3/2019) Congratulations to former student Avni Gulati, who is one of the SJSU finalists to participate in the state-wide CSU student research competition this April! College of Engineering has 4 finalists this year!
- (1/2019) We are excited to kick off a new research project on "Anomaly Detection in Active DNS Data" funded by Infoblox
- (12/2018) Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the SJSU's Academic Spotlight series.
- (10/2018) Our paper, "Influence propagation for Social Graph-based Recommendations" (co-authored with SJSU student Avni Gulati), appears in Proc. of the IEEE Big Data 2018 Conference.