Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Tuesday 2 - 4 pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is an Associate Professor at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. Her research interests cover the areas of web mining and recommender systems and, in particular, on social network mining, aspect-based recommendations, interactive database exploration, social recommender systems and personalization. Most recently, as member of the SJSU Center of Smart Technology, Computing, and Complex Systems (STCCS), she has been involved in several smart city projects. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
Currently she serves as the guest editor of the special issue on "Recommender Systems for Large-Scale Social Networks" of the Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS) journal, "Big Data for Smart Cities" of the Big Data Research (BDR) journal, and the PC Chair of the DESWeb 2017 Workshop (in conjuction with ICDE 2017), while has served as program committee member and reviewer in multiple conferences and journals in the past.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching the CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics course (Fall 2017). She also serves as the ABET coordinator for Computer Engineering Department, overviewing the assessment of both BS in Computer Engineering and BS in Software Engineering programs. She is also the member of the Student Review Evaluation Board University committee and several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015 and is the recipient of the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- (8/2017) I will represent SJSU as a speaker and panelist in the Okayama Information and Communication Symposium on Big Data and Cybersecurity, organized as part of the 60th Anniversary of sister city relationship between Okayama, Japan and San Jose.
- (7/2017) CFP: Special issue on Big Data and Smart Cities, to be published by Elsevier's Big Data Research.
- (6/2017) Our paper "Social Recommendations for Personalized Fitness Assistance" (co-authored with SJSU students S. Dharia, V. Jain, J. Patel, J. Vora and R. Yamauchi and Dr. I. Varlams) got accepted for publication in the Personal and Ubiquitous Computing journal, special issue on Wearable Systems for e-Health and well-being.
- (6/2017) Our paper "A Framework for Recommendation of Highly Popular News Lacking Social Feedback" (co-authored with N. Moniz, L. Torgo and P. Branco) got accepted for publication
in the New Generation Computing journal.
- Congratulations to Dr. N. Moniz, who spent some time in our lab as a visiting PhD student, for successfully defending his thesis this summer!
- (5/2017) Congratulations to undergraduate student Rizen Yamauchi, who received the
Donald Beall-Rockwell Award for Engineering Accomplishment during the 2017 College of Engineering awards, for his research work and accomplishments in our lab.