Additional Contact Information
please see http://www.math.sjsu.edu/~saleem
- Doctor of Philosophy.
Univ Of Cal-Davis, 1988
- Master of Science, Applied Mathematics
Univ Of Cal-Berkeley, 1982
1988 Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, University of California, Davis.
Major: Numerical Analysis
1982 M.A., Mathematics, University of California, Berkeley.
1976 M.Sc. Applied Mathematics Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan.
1974 B.Sc., Honors in Mathematics, Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan.
1. Provost’s Outstanding Assessment Award, 2009.
2. Selected to the “Teacher/Scholar Program”, SJSU, 2005-2006.
3. Included in “2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century”.
4. Among “American Men & Women of Science”, 1998 onwards.
5. Nominated for Outstanding Teaching Award, SJSU, 1995-96.
6. Included in “Who’s Who in America”, 1995 awards.
7. Secured top position and Outstanding Graduate Student Award (Gold Medal) in M.Sc., Punjab University, Pakistan, 1976.
8. Was awarded an Outstanding Student Award (Gold Medal) in B.Sc. Honors, Punjab University, Pakistan, 1974.
2006-present Professor, Department of Mathematics, San Jose, State University.
2002 2006 Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, San Jose State University.
1995 2002 Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, San Jose State University.
1990-1995 Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, San Jose State University.
1992-1999 Associate, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA.
1988 1990 Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Missouri, St. Louis.
1987 1988 Post Graduate Researcher, University of California, Davis and NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA.
1985 1986 Associate Instructor, University of California, Davis.
1982 1986 Teaching Assistant, University of California, Davis.
1976 1980 Lecturer, Multan University and Bahawalpur University (Pakistan).
FIELD OF INTEREST
Applied Mathematics and Computational Fluid Dynamics. Particularly interested in Numerical Analysis, Computational Linear Algebra, Numerical Solution of Differential Equations and Signal Processing.
1. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore.
2. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE / COMMITTEE WORK
Have taught courses like: Differential and Integral Calculus at the Undergraduate level, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Applied Partial Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, Computer Programming in Fortran, Numerical Analysis (graduate and undergraduate), Calculus and Finite Math for Business Majors, Computational Linear Algebra, Mathematics for Teachers, Discrete Math, PreCalculus and Trigonometry. Also, Methods of Mathematical Physics, Mathematical Fluid Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Electromagnetic Theory and Classical Mechanics.
Have been a supervisor to Teaching Associates, SJSU,1994 present.
Have been the coordinator for Pre-Calculus Workshops, since 2008, which raised the success rate of students from 60% to 72%.
Have served on International Programs and Students Committee at SJSU, 2003.
Taught an accelerated course in PreCalculus at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1993).
Member of (SIAM) Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Member of (MAA) Mathematical Association of America. Also, Liaison between MAA & Math. Dept. SJSU.
Member (PMS) Pakistan Mathematical Society.
PUBLICATIONS / ABSTRACTS
1. “Analyzing GMRES from the view of Geometry”, with Mei-Wern Cheng, revised and submitted to Punjab University Mathematics Journal, September 2007. (A refereed paper).
2. "Some Results Related to a Method of Lagrange", with Professor Samih Obaid, SJSU, Southeast Asian Bulletin of Mathematics, v29:1-10, 2005. A refereed paper.
3. "Krylov Subspaces and Numerical Sensitivity of Eigenvalues", 6th International Pure Mathematics Conference, Islamabad, August 2005.
4. “Translating Differential Equation Models into Kernel Methods for Data Analysis – Phase 2”, with Igor Malyshev, et al. Report presented to NASA Ames Research Center, May 2004.
5. “TA Workshop”, a report prepared during Sabbatical Leave, spring 2003. Unpublished manuscript, privately circulated.
6. “Approximate Inverse Preconditioners for the conjugate gradient method”, with Chieko Honma, International journal of Computer Mathematics, vol .79, No.4, 2002. A refereed paper.
7. “Omar Khayyam, the Poet, Astronomer, Philosopher and Mathematician” with M. Nasim, Iqra Magazine, December 2000. A refereed paper.
8. “Einstein-Maxwell Equations”, Encyclopedia of Mathematics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, 1998/1999.
9. "Breakdown of Subspace Techniques for Solving Systems of Equations", Annual Review of Engineering & Science Research, SJSU, November 1996.
10. "Numerically Computed Eigenvalues can be Deceptive" Annual SIAM Conference, 1994, San Diego.
11. "Predicting the Structural Safety of a building or Bridge can be difficult", Annual Review of Engineering & Science Research, SJSU, November 1994.
12. "Toeplitz & Circulant matrices in BVPs" Annual SIAM Conference, 1993, Philadelphia.
13. "Acceleration of convergence and spectrum transformation of implicit finite difference operators associated with Navier Stokes equations," (with T. Pulliam and A. Cheer), Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 104, No. 1, pp 1 13 (1993). A refereed paper.
14. "Acceleration of convergence by shifting the spectrum of implicit finite difference operators Associated with the equations of gas dynamics," (with A. Cheer), International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 12, pp 443 462 (1991). A refereed paper.
15. "Convergence acceleration techniques applied to 2 and 3 dimensional viscous flows," (with A. Cheer and S. Cheung), Second World Congress in Computational Mechanics, 1990.
16. "Improving the rates of convergence of iterative methods in CFD by shifting the spectrum of implicit operators," (with A. Cheer), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics 1989 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
17. "Analysis of the convergence history of fluid flow through nozzles," (with A.Cheer, M. Hafez, and T. Pulliam), National Fluid Dynamics Congress, Cincinnati, July 1988.
18. "Analysis of the convergence history of fluid flow through nozzles with shocks," (with A.Cheer, M. Hafez, and T. Pulliam), (AIAA) American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA 88 3795 CPpp 620 628, July 1988. A refereed paper.
19. "A comparative study of first and second order Shank's Transformation" with M. Hafez, UC Davis, (1986). Unpublished Report, privately circulated.
20. "A survey of numerical methods for solving Cauchy Singular Integral Equations" with Peter Linz, UC Davis, 1985. Unpublished manuscript.
21. Wrote one section of students’ solutions Manual to accompany George Simmons’ Calculus with Analytic Geometry, 1985.
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE (NASA Ames Research Center):
CAMCOS (Center for Applied Math and Computer Science, SJSU) project completed for Dr. William Macready, NASA Ames Research Center, “Translating Differential Equation Models into Kernel Methods for Data Analysis – Phase 2”, with Igor Malyshev et al, May 2004.
Ames Associate, a volunteer position at NASA Ames Research Center, 1992 to 1999. Worked with Dr. Tom Pulliam and Dr. Bob Warming.
Was a Visiting Scientist (summer 1994) for the Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science housed at Nasa Ames Research Center. Performed research on Preconditioning Methods for Krylov Subspace Iterative Solvers for the Euler and Navier Stokes Equations.
Post Graduate Researcher (PGR) at NASA Ames Research Center, January 1987 to August 1988. Worked with Dr. Tom Pulliam of NASA Ames Research Center, and Dr. Angela Cheer of University of California, Davis.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY
1. Chaired a session and was a member of the organization committee for the conference, “Sufism and Evolving Global Consciousness”, SJSU, April 2001.
2. Liaison: Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, SJSU and Mathematical Association of America, 2001-2008.
3. Conducted training for ChiEpsilon, National Civil Engineering Honor Society, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2007.
4. Reviewed several Linear Algebra books for various publishers, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004.
5.Was a judge at the Kennedy School Science Fair, May 1995.
6. Was a Visiting Scholar at NASA Ames Research Center, Summer 1994. Ames Associate from 1993 to 1999.
7. Visiting Scientist at the Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science, (NASA)1994.
8. Judge, “Mathematics Field Day”, An annual competition for High School Students, 1993 through 2007.
9. Refereed for the Journal of Computational Physics, and the Journal of Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations.
10. Editorial Board: of Engineering and Technology Journal, Pakistan Journal of Commerce & Social Sciences (2008 onwards)
11. Advisor for Pakistan Students Association at SJSU, 1993 to present.
SEMINARS / LECTURES / WORKSHOPS
1. Gave an invited talk “Green’s Functions and Numerical Methods for Management Models”, at the COMSATS International Conference on Management, Lahore, Pakistan, 2008.
2. Gave a research presentation, “Identification of Expert Cognition in University Professors Teaching Diverse Students”, SJSU Center for Faculty Development, April 2006.
3. Gave a talk, "Krylov Subspaces and Numerical Sensitivity of Eigenvalues", 6th International Pure Mathematics Conference, Islamabad, August 2005.
4.Participated in TA Development Workshop, AMS, Western Section meeting, University of Southern California, April 2004.
5.Chaired a session of 6th International Pure Mathematics Conference, Islamabad, August 2005..
6.Gave a lecture, "Applications of Matrix Techniques in the Analysis of Large Scale Biological Data", University of Massachusetts, Medical School, July 2003.
7. Participated in TA Development Workshop, AMS, Western Section meeting, San Francisco State University, May 2003.
8. Taught an intensive mini-course, "A Mathematical Approach to God" at AL-Askaria Academy & Islamia University, Bahawalpur, Pakistan, January 2002. Course was sponsored by CTNS, Berkeley.
9. Gave a Seminar, "Solving Sparse Linear Systems by Projection Techniques", Pakistan Mathematical Society and National Center for Physics, QAU, Islamabad, January 2002.
10. Gave four seminars, January 2002, Islamia University, National College and Al-Askaria Academy.
11. Attended as a panelist, CTNS conference, “God, Life and Cosmos”, Islamabad, Pakistan, Nov. 2000.
12. Participated in “Training Tools for TA Teaching Workshop”, Annual SIAM Meeting, San Diego, 1997.
13. Participated in a TA Training Workshop, New Hampshire, 1996.
14. Chaired a session of the 8th annual research review, School of Engineering, SJSU, November 1992 and 4th research review, October 1992.
15."Breakdown of Subspace Techniques for Solving Systems of Equations", a talk presented at 7th Annual Review of Engineering & Science Research, SJSU, November 1995.
16. Presented a paper titled "Numerically Computed Eigenvalues can be Deceptive" at the annual SIAM Conference, 1994, San Diego.
17. "Predicting the Structural Safety of a building or Bridge can be difficult", a talk presented at 6th Annual Review of Engineering & Science Research, SJSU, November 1994.
18. Participated in a workshop by Prof. Jane Day, An Innovations fellowship project, MATLAB & Linear Algebra, SJSU August 1994.
19. Coordinated “Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Teaching Program”, Fall 1993.
20. Presented a paper titled "Toeplitz & Circulant matrices in BVPs" at the annual SIAM Conference, 1993, Philadelphia.
21. Spoke at a Colloquium, SJSU, title: "Perturbation of Toeplitz / Circulant matrices," September 1993.
22. Gave talks at the University of California Davis (Fall 1983, Fall 1987, Spring 1988); NASA Ames Research Center, California (Fall 1987, Spring 1988, Summers 1991, and 1994); Rochester Institute of Technology, NY (March 1990); and University of South Carolina, Coastal College (April 1990); SJSU (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994).
23. Presented a paper at the National Fluid Dynamics Congress in Cincinnati, July, 1988.
1. Attended MAA Northern California Section Conference at MSRI, Berkeley, February 2008.
2. Attended Bay Area Discrete Math Day, at the Googleplex in Mountain View, April , 2006.
3. Attended MAA Northern California Section Conference at Stanford, February 2006.
4. Attended CSU Symposium on University Teaching, Cal Poly, Pomona, April 2005.
5. Attended Annual Secion Meeting of American Mathematical Society, St. Mary’s College, Moraga, March 2005.
6. Attended AMS, Northern California Section conference at California State University, Hayward, January 2004.
7. Attended the Regional Meeting of IMPAC (Inter-segmental Major Preparation Articulated Curriculum), Sheraton Hotel, San Jose, CA. October 2003.
8. Attended a conference, “Random Phenomena in Applied Mathematics”, Stanford Univ, Jan. 2003.
9. Attended CAMCOS Reports Day, SJSU, May 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009.
10. Attended CTNS meetings, Berkeley, 2000, 2001.
11. Attended Southern California Matrix Theory Conference, SJSU, 1993, 1998, 2001, 2004.
12. Attended Mathematical Geophysics Summer School at Stanford University, 1998.
13. Attended the annual SIAM 45th Anniversary meeting, Stanford, July 1997.
14. Attended the joint Mathematics meeting, (SIAM, MAA, AMS), January 1997, San Diego.
15. Attended a Workshop on Wavelets, conducted by Prof. Gilbert Strang of MIT. SJSU, January 1995.
16. "Three Decades of Linear Algebra at Berkeley," held October 16, 1992 at UC Berkeley.
17. Attended the third Woodward Conference on "Modeling Complex Phenomena" held April 12 13, 1991, at SJSU.
18. Annual American Mathematical Society/Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics meeting, Louisville, KY, 1990.
Ph. D. Dissertation External Examiner:
University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
Committee member for Nazir Ahmad’s dissertation: Optimization Using Mathematical Programming of Scientific and Engineering Problems, 2011.
University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
Committee member for M. Iqbal Bhatti’s dissertation: Order Properties of Product Spaces and Quotient Spaces of Ordered Topological Linear Spaces, 2007.
Islamia University Bahawalpur, Pakistan. Committee member for M. Sadiq Hashmi’s dissertation: Subdivision Curves/Surfaces And Their Error Bounds, 2010.
Several Master’s Thesis Students