PHYS 275 - Green Sheet
PHYS 275 - Solid State Physics
Instructor: Dr. Ray Kwok
Lectures: Mon & Wed 4:00 - 5:15 pm (SCI 321)
Office Hours: (SCI 310) MW 9:30 – 10:30 am, 5:15 - 5:45 pm
(ENGR 383) TR 10:30 - 11:00 am
Online Info: sjsu.edu/people/raymond.kwok
Textbook: Solid State Physics, Ashcroft & Mermin (Thomson)
- Introduction to Solid State Physics, C.Kittel (Wiley & Sons)
- Principles of the Theory of Solids, J.M.Ziman (Cambridge University Press)
PHYS 175, PHYS 261
Topics to be discussed are listed in my web site. The list is intended to help students to prepare and review lectures, and not to encourage students to miss classes. Students are responsible for any material presented in lectures even though it might not be on the list.
homework 30%, 1 mid-term 30%, final 40%
Final Letter grades will be assigned roughly according to the following percentage of maximum points earned as long as you pass the Laboratory section as well.
- A 85% or above
- B 70 - 85%
- C 55 - 70%
- D 40 - 55%
- F below 40%
mid-term: 10/29 (Mon)
final exam: 12/14 (Fri 2:45 - 5:00 pm)
Academic Integrity Statement:
From the Office of Student Conduct and Ethical Development: "Your own commitment to learning, as evidenced by your enrollment at San Jose State University, and the University's Academic Integrity Policy, require you to be honest in all your academic course work. Faculty members are required to report all infractions to the Office of Student Conduct and Ethical Development." The policy on academic integrity.
"I have read the Honor Code and agree with its provisions. My continued enrollment in this course constitutes full acceptance of this code. I will NOT:
- Take an exam in place of someone else, or have someone take an exam in my place
- Give information or receive information from another person during an exam
- Use more reference material during an exam than is allowed by the instructor
- Obtain a copy of an exam prior to the time it is given
- Alter an exam after it has been graded and then return it to the instructor for re-grading
- Leave the exam room without returning the exam to the instructor."
If you need course adaptations or accommodations because of a disability, or if you need special arrangements in case the building must be evacuated, please make an appointment with me as soon as possible, or see me during office hours. Presidential Directive 97-03 requires that students with disabilities register with the Disabilities Resource Center (DRC) to establish a record of their disability.
College & Department Policies:
You are responsible for understanding the policies and procedures about add/drops, academic renewal, withdrawals, incompletes, classroom behavior, and other policies described in the catalog. Please read your catalog thoroughly. We will review the evacuation plan for this classroom during the first class meeting.
For More Information, contact:
Ray Kwok at SJSU