Publications & Presentations
Publications & Presentations
Journal Articles1) Computation Algebras. Mathematical Structures in Computer Science. (October, 2001) With M.A. Walicki and M. Haveraaen.
2) Key Concepts in Architecture Definition Languages. In Foundations of Component Based Systems. G. T. Leavens, M. Sitaraman (Ed.), pp. 23–46. Cambridge University Press, 2000. Invited paper. With D. C. Luckham, J. Vera.
3) Software Prototyping. Invited contribution to John Wiley & Sons’ Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. 1999. With G. Fisher, D. Stearns, P. C. Ölveczky.
4) NSA’s MISSI Reference Architecture – From Prose to Precise Specification. In Requirements Targeting Software and Systems Engineering. M. Broy, B. Rumpe (Eds.). LNCS 1526, pp. 293–329. Springer-Verlag 1998. With D. C. Luckham.
5) Singular and plural non-deterministic parameters. SIAM J. of Computing 26(4), August 1997. With M.A. Walicki.
6) Algebraic Approaches to Non-Determinism – an Overview. ACM Computing Sur¬veys 29(1), March 1997, pp. 30-81. With M. A. Walicki. [Identical to (Error! Reference source not found.)]
7) Verification Oriented Development of Knowledge Based Systems. New Review of Applied Expert Systems. Vol. 2, 1996, pp. 91–104. With A. I. Vermesan.
8) Multialgebras, Power Algebras and Complete Calculi of Identities and Inclusions. In Recent Trends in Data Type Specification. E. Astesiano, G. Reggio, A. Tarlecki (Eds.). LNCS 906, pp. 453-468. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, March 1995. With M.A. Walicki.
9) A complete calculus for the multialgebraic and functional semantics of non¬determinism. ACM TOPLAS 17, 2 (March 1995), 366-393. With M.A. Walicki.
10) An extension of Standard ML modules with subtyping and inheritance. Information and Control 71 (1991), 95–130. With J. Mitchell, N. Madhav. [A variant as  below]
11) A complete axiomatic semantics of spawning. Distributed Computing 5 (1991), 159-174.
12) Fra spesifikasjon til virkelighet. DATA 17, 4 (1987), 42–45. (In Norwegian.)
13) Partial correctness of exits from concurrent structures. BIT 26, 3 (1986), 295-302.
14) An axiomatic semantics for nested concurrency. BIT 26, 2 (1986), 164-174.
15) Styring av bus- of lageraksess i en multiprosessorarkitektur. In NordDATA 83, Den Norske Dataforening, Oslo. 1983. (In Norwegian.) With E. Mellbye-Larsen.
16) Security – a science? Invited Valedictorian Address, IEEE IACC 2010.
17) It’s a Dangerous World Out There – The Interplay of Security, Safety and Policy, Keynote Address, IEEE IACC 2009.
18) Security, Safety and Privacy – Pervasive Themes for Engineering Education. Proceedings of ICEE 2008. With Kristen Gates, Russell Smith, Xiao Su.
19) Learning Modules for Security, Privacy and Information Assurance in Undergraduate Engineering Education. Proceedings of FIE 2006. With Daniel Manson et al.
20) Measuring Component-Based Systems Using a Systematic Approach and Environment.?Proceedings of the Second IEEE International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering (SOSE'06).?With Jerry Gao, Yumei Wu, Lee Chang.
21) Ten Pounds in a Five-Pound Sack: Providing Software Engineering Students with Management Experience. Proceedings of ICEE’2001. With D. J. Stearns and C. S. Turner.
22) Nondeterminism vs. Underspecification, Proceedings of The Fifth Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, N.Callaos, J.M.Pineda, M.Sanchez (eds.), SCI/ISAS'2001, Orlando FL, USA, 22-25 July 2001. Pp. 551–555. With Walicki, M.
23) Categories of Relational Structures (Modeled as Multialgebras), Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Fundamentals of Computation Theory, Rusins Freivalds (ed.) Springer-Verlag, LNCS 2138, Riga, Latvia, 22-24 August 2001. With Walicki, M., Hodzic, A.
24) Causal Event-Relations as a Basis for Analyzing Distributed Architectures. In Proc. 8th Int'l Coll. on Computer Science with Applications. R. Bainov (Ed.), 2000. With D. C. Luckham.
25) Specification and prototyping of network protocols in rewriting logic. In Proc. NIK’98. Tapir, Nov. 1998. With Peter C. Ölveczky.
26) Reference Architectures and Conformance. In Proceedings of RTSE’97. M. Broy, B. Rumpe (Eds.). Technische Universät München, April 1998, pp. 203–228.
27) Nondeterministic Algebraic Specifications in a Relational Syntax. Proceedings of NWPT’95. With V. Kriauciukas, M. A. Walicki.
28) An algebraic approach to refinement of KBS specifications. In Proceedings of the European Symposium on the Validation and Verification of Knowledge-Based System, M. Ayel, M.-C. Rousset (Eds.). ADERAS-LIA, June 1995, pp. 265–276. With A. Vermesan.
29) Generated models and the ?-rule: the nondeterministic case. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Joint Conference on Theory and Practice of Software Development, P. D. Mosses, M. Nielsen, M. I. Schwartzbach (Eds.), LNCS 915, pp. 424–438, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, May 1995. With M.A. Walicki.
30) On specialization of derivations in axiomatic equality theories. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Logical Foundations of Computer Science, 1994. With A. Pliuskeviciene, R. Pliuskevicius, M.A. Walicki.
31) Polymorphism and subtyping in interfaces. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Interface Definition Languages, J.M. Wing (Ed), Carnegie-Mellon University. January 1994, pp. 23-34. The proceedings are also published as SIGPLAN Notices 29, 8 (August 1994). With D. Katiyar, D. Luckham, J. Mitchell.
32) Causality Breakdown at ?. In Proceedings of NWPT’94s, R.J.R. Back, K. Sere (Eds), Åbo Akademi. 1994, pp. 194-203. With P.O. Tvete.
33) Initiality + Nondeterminism ==> Junk. In NIK’93, M. Haveraaen (Ed), Tapir. November 1993, pp. 129-138. With M. Walicki.
34) Sets and Nondeterminism. In ICLP’93 Workshop on Logic Programming with Sets, 1993. With M. Walicki.
35) Computations: A deterministic semantics of nondeterminism. In Proceedings of NWPC’94s, M. Haveraaen (Eds), Department of Informatics, University of Bergen. 1992. With M. Walicki.
36) Subtyping, Assignment and Cloning in a Concurrent Object-Oriented Language. In Proceedings of the DARPA Software Technology Conference 1992, DARPA, R. N. Taylor and W. L. Scherlis (Eds), April 1992, pp. 458-470. With D. Katiyar, D. Luckham, N. Madhav, J. Mitchell, S. Sankar.
37) Towards an Equational Theory of Nondeterminism. In Proceedings NIK’91, 1991. With M. Walicki.
38) Exploiting locality in maintaining potential causality. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Symposium on the Principles of Distributed Computing, ACM, ACM Press. August 1991. Also published as Technical Report CSL-TR-91-466, Computer Systems Laboratory, Stanford University. With S. Sankar, J. Vera.
39) An object-oriented approach to formal specification of reactive systems. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, IEEE_Computer Society, 1991, pp. 134-141. With N. Madhav.
40) An Extension of Standard ML Modules with Subtyping and Inheritance. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM Symp. on the Principles of Programming Languages, ACM, ACM_Press. 1991, pp. 270-278. Also published as Technical Report CSL-TR-91-472, Computer Systems Laboratory, Stanford University. With J.C. Mitchell, N. Madhav.
41) Supporting Architecture Mappings in Concurrent Systems Design. In Proceedings of Australian Software Engineering Conference ’90, IREE_Australia, May 1990.
42) Specifying and Observing Concurrent Programs. In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Large Grain Parallelism, SEI, 1989. Invited paper. With D.C. Luckham.
43) An Abstract Axiomatization of Pointer Types. In Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, B.D. Shriver (Ed), IEEE Computer Society Press. 1989.
44) Specifying Ada tasking using patterns of behavior. In Proceedings of the 21st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, B.D. Shriver (Ed), IEEE Computer Society Press. 1988, pp. 129-134. With D.C. Luckham, M.A. Haberler.
45) Redundancy in software design. In NIK’88, R. Conradi (Ed), Tapir. 1988, pp. 113-125.
46) Har formelle metoder noen plass i programutvikling? In NordDATA 87, Den norske dataforening. 1987. Invited paper. (In Norwegian.)
47) Task Sequencing Language for Specifying Distributed Ada Systems. In System Development and Ada, Proceedings of the CRAI Workshop on Software Factories and Ada, A.N. Habermann, U. Montanari (Eds), Springer-Verlag. LNCS. 1986, pp. 249-305. Also in technical report no. CSL-TR-87-334, Stanford University. With D.C. Luckham, D.P. Helmbold, D.L. Bryan, M.A. Haberler.