Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Tuesday, 1:30 - 3:30pm
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor and Associate Chair at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. Her research interests span a broad range of machine learning, data mining, social graph mining, recommender systems, and deep learning applications. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected work is included below).
She currently serves as the PC Chair of IEEE BigDataService 2020, and PC member in several conferences. She is also the editor of the special issue on Mobile and Big Data Services on the Edge and the Cloud of the Intl. Journal of Data Science and Analytics. She has previously serverd as guest editor, program committee member, and reviewer in numerous conferences and journals, including TKDE, DKE, RecSys, ICDM, BigData and CIKM, among others.
Dr. Eirinaki is currently teaching CMPE 256 - Large-scale Analytics course (Spring 2020). She was member of the Transformation 2030 Task Force on "Goal 2. Excel and Lead" and participates in several College and Department committees.
Dr. Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence, the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching and received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015 and 2019.
- Selected publications (via Scholarworks, via DBLP, via Google Scholar)
- Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the SJSU's Academic Spotlight series (12/2018)
- (4/2020) Catalog update! CMPE 256 has a new name as of Fall 2020. It will be now named "Web and Big Data Mining" to better reflect the topics it covers and align with our Data Science/AI curriculum.
- (3/2020) Congratulations to studens Junlan Lu, Aldrich Mangune, and Nikhil Takappa Saunshi, whose project is one of the SJSU finalists to participate in the state-wide CSU student research competition this April!
- (2/2020) Prof. Eirinaki will lead the "Ethics of AI" panel at the 2020 Silicon Valley Women in Engineering (WiE) conference
- (2/2020) Our paper, "The Tipping Point In Social Networks: Investigating
the Mechanism behind Viral Information Spreading", got accepted at the IEEE BigDataService 2020 conference.
- (1/2020) CFP for our special issue on Mobile and Big Data Services on the Edge and the Cloud (Intl. J. of Data Science and Analytics, Springer) posted.
- (1/2020) Our paper, "Evaluating Validity of Synthetic data in Perception tasks for Autonomous Vehicles", got accepted at the IEEE AITest 2020 Conference
- (1/2020) Prof. Eirinaki to speak at the "State of AI and ML" (ValleyML 2020) event.
- (11/2019) Our paper, "A SERP-Mining Approach for Classification of DNS Requests", appears in Proc. of IEEE Big Data 2019.
- (9/2019) The special issue of Big Data Research journal on "Big Data for Smart Cities" is now published.
- (9/2019) Our paper, "ViSeR: A Visual Search Engine for e-Retail", appears in Proc. ofTransdisciplinary AI 2019.
- (9/2019) Our paper, "A Graph-based recommender system for food products", appears in Proc. of Graph Computing 2019.
- (7/2019) Our paper, "Exploratory data analysis and crime prediction for smart cities", appears in Proc. of IDEAS 2019.
- (7/2019) Our paper, "The effect of global and local influence models on the quality of recommendations", appears in Proc. of SPECTS 2019
- (5/2019) Our paper, "With a little help from my friends (and their friends): Influence neighborhoods for social recommendations", appears in Proc. of The Web Conference 2019 (WWW 2019).
- (4/2019) Professor Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence! The award recognizes outstanding achievement by faculty members who demonstrate excellence in some combination of teaching, service to students, and/or research. Photo-op from the event here.