Program Director, MS in Artificial Intelligence
Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor and Associate Chair at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. She also serves as the program director of the MS in Artificial Intelligence program. Her research interests span a broad range of machine learning, data mining, social graph mining, recommender systems, and deep learning applications. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected publications are included below).
Prof. Eirinaki will be teaching CMPE 256-Advanced Data Mining in Fall 2021. She currently serves as the General Chair of IEEE BDS 2023, steering committee of the Silicon Valley Women in Engineering conference series (most recently WiE 2022), reproducibility Chair of ACM RecSys 2023, and Senior PC of ACM WSDM 2023 and TheWebConf 2023. She has previously served as guest editor, organization committee member, program committee member, or reviewer in numerous conferences and journals, including JDSA, TWEB, BDR, TKDE, DKE, RecSys, BigData, DSAA, ICDM, and CIKM, among others. She has also participated in several accreditation panels on behalf of the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA).
Prof. Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence, the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching and received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015, 2019, 2020, and 2022.
- Selected publications (via Scholarworks, via DBLP, via Google Scholar)
- Prof. Eirinaki's interview for Washington Square (8/2022)
- Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the 1st program of national public radio (in Greek) (8/2022)
- Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the SJSU's Academic Spotlight series (12/2018)
- (10/2022) Our paper "Real-time recommendations for energy-efficient appliance usage in households" got published in Frontiers in Big Data (Section Recommender Systems).
- (8/2022) Prof. Eirinaki's interview on "AI for good" for the Washington Square magazine.
- (8/2022) Our lab's alumni Akash Jagannathan presented the paper "Original Music Generation using Recurrent Neural Networks with Self-Attention" in IEEE AITest 2022.
- (8/2022) Prof. Eirinaki served as the General Chair of the IEEE Big Data Service and ML Applications (IEEE BDS 2022) conference.
- (7/2022) Prof. Eirinaki's was interviewed at the Greek public radio about females in CS and her research in energy efficiency recommendations (in Greek)
- (5/2022) Congratulations to our lab's alumni, Robert Campbell, who was selected as a finalist in the SJSU and the CSU student research competition for his work on reinforcement learning for network security.
- (3/2022) Prof. Eirinaki hosted the career panel on Software and Information Technology in Silicon Valley Women in Engineering (SV WiE 2022)
- (2/2022) Our survey paper, "Blockchain-based Recommender Systems: Applications, Challenges and Future Opportunities" got published in Computer Science Review.
- (11/2021) Our paper, "Can a machine win a Grammy? An evaluation of AI-generated song lyrics" got accepted at the IEEE Conference on Big Data 2021 - 7th Special Session on Intelligent Data Mining