Program Director, MS in Artificial Intelligence
Computer Engineering Department
Preferred: (408) 924-3828
Office: ENG 283F
- PhD in Computer Science (Informatics), Athens Univ of Econ & Business, 2006
- MSc in Advanced Computing, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 2000
- BSc in Computer Science (Informatics), University of Piraeus, Greece, 1998
- Diploma in Music (Piano), Greek Ministry of Education, cum laude, 2006
Dr. Magdalini Eirinaki is a Professor and Associate Chair at the Computer Engineering Department of the College of Engineering at SJSU. She also serves as the program director of the MS in Artificial Intelligence program. Her research interests span a broad range of machine learning, data mining, social graph mining, recommender systems, and deep learning applications. She has published several papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings in the above areas (links to selected publications are included below).
Prof. Eirinaki will be teaching CMPE 256-Advanced Data Mining in Fall 2021. She currently serves as the PhD track Chair of DSAA 2021, the Web Mining and Content Analysis track Chair of TheWebConf 2022, the General Chair of BigDataService 2022, steering committee of the Silicon Valley Women in Engineering conference series (most recently WiE 2021) and PC member in several conferences. She is guest editor of the special issue on Mobile and Big Data Services on the Edge and the Cloud of Springer's Intl. J. on Data Science and Analytics. She has previously served as guest editor, program committee member, and reviewer in numerous conferences and journals, including TWEB, BDR, TKDE, DKE, ICDM, RecSys, BigData, DSAA and CIKM, among others. She has also participated in several accreditation panels on behalf of the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA).
Prof. Eirinaki is the recipient of the 2019 Newnan Brothers Award for Faculty Excellence, the 2017 Applied Materials Award for Excellence in Teaching and received the SJSU distinguished faculty mentor award in 2015, 2019, and 2020.
- Selected publications (via Scholarworks, via DBLP, via Google Scholar)
- Prof. Eirinaki's interview for the SJSU's Academic Spotlight series (12/2018)
- (8/2021) Catalog update - CMPE 256 has a new name (but same content): "Advanced Data Mining".
- (7/2021) Our paper, "Deepfake Detection using GAN Discriminators", got accepted at the IEEE BigDataService 2021 conference.
- (12/2020) Our paper, "Intelligent Eye: A Navigation Assistant for the Visually Impaired", got accepted at the HCI International 2021 conference.
- (11/2020) Our paper, "An evaluation of machine learning methods for domain name classification" got accepted at the special session on Intelligent Data Mining of the IEEE Big Data 2020 conference.
- (11/2020) Congratulations to MS SE student Katy Jiang for winning 1st place in the Deepfake Education competition using her CMPE 256 short story video assignment as entry! Watch the video, and read the story here.
- (9/2020) Our paper, "Play it again IMuCo! Music composition to match your mood" got accepted at the TransAI 2020 conference.
- (7/2020) Our paper, "Reducing energy waste in households through real-time recommendations" got accepted at the ACM RecSys 2020 conference.