(Fall 2012) RELS 131: Gender, Sexuality, & Religion
Time: Tu/Th 10:30AM-11:45AM
Location: Boccardo Business Center 125
Women's roles and gendered categories within diverse religions. Feminist critiques, reforms, and creations of religious institutions. The political and feminist dimensions of women’s religious experience. Understanding the roles of sexuality in religion. Prerequisite: Upper division standing or instructor consent.
Syllabus posted below.
Online Readings & Resources
Links to online readings posted below.
- Myhre, “What is Religion," From Introduction to Religious Studies [PDF]
- Shaw & Lee, “Women’s Studies: Perspectives and Practices,” From Women’s Voices, Feminist Visions [PDF]
- McIntosh, "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack"
- Deutsch, "The Male Privilege Checklist: An Unabashed Imitation of an article by Peggy McIntosh"
- Online Program Book for the American Academy of Religion
Links to course assignments posted below.
- Cultural, Religious, and Gendered Location Paper (DUE 9/18) [PDF]
- Real World Relevance (DUE 10/18) [PDF]
- Group Presentations (DUE between 10/23-11/15) [PDF]
- Final Research Paper (DUE 12/17, + PROPOSAL DUE 11/27) [PDF]
- AAR Exercise (DUE 12/6) (earlier strongly encouraged) [PDF]
Twitter & Facebook
Recommended Media/Religion Links
See bottom of page at link below.