I. Costs

  •  How much do single degree programs cost?
    The fees are a flat $750/unit. Classes are typically three units, for a total course cost of $2,250. This does not include the price of books/other materials. Each certificate within the program consists of three courses (nine units). The complete degree program consists of 31 units for a total cost of $23,250, or approx. $12,000 per year.

II. Application & Admission 

How to apply

  • Do I need to be prequalified before I can apply for the program?
    No, but we strongly suggest you submit a pre-qualification form.

    Pre-Qualification: Apply Now!

  • How do I apply for the program?
    Once you pre-qualify we will send you detailed application instructions.
  • How much does it cost to apply to SJSU?
    $55.00 USD
  • How do I submit additional items assigned on my checklist?
    By checking your application status, you may see additional items requested. These could include items such as a Declaration of Finance. All documents must be converted into PDF format and be legible. Include your nine-digit SJSU ID and your name in the body of the email message. Send the email with attachments to sa-adm-wrkflow@sjsu.edu.
    Please note, transcripts and mark sheets will not be accepted if sent via email. Applicants with degrees from other countries submit them through WES
  • My application status on MySJSU says “referred”. What does that mean?
    The “referred” status means that the university has completed the initial review to determine whether you are CSU eligible and has forwarded your application to the program for their admission review process. If the program has informed you of a decision to admit you into their program it may still take some time before the decision shows up on your record.  If you have questions regarding your application while it is in a “referred” status for some time, please contact your graduate advisor directly.

Requirements for applying

  • Are letters of recommendation required?
  • Is GRE required?
    GRE scores are not required for students with an undergraduate degree from an ABET accredited program. GRE scores are required from other universities. The following minimum scores are required to be considered for admissions into the MS Software Engineering Program:

    Quantitative + Verbal = 294 or higher
    Analytical Writing = 3.0 or higher

    Scores must be from a single test date. Higher scores may be required for admission because of the competitive nature of MSSE admissions. Applicants that have at least five years of professional software development experience after completing a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering can request a GRE test waiver.
  • Is a statement of purpose required? Should I send it directly to the College of Engineering?
    You must include a statement of purpose directly in the online CSU Mentor application, identifying which off-campus degree program you are applying for. The maximum is 500 words, but we advise that you limit it to one paragraph.
  • My application says I’m missing documents. Can I send pending documents in the form of soft copy by scanning and emailing them to the College of Engineering?
    No. You must submit all original, sealed documents to Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE), addressed to:
    • Graduate Admissions and Records
      San Jose State University One Washington Square
      San Jose, CA 95192-0017 
      *You must use the entire postal code when sending in documents to ensure they reach the correct department. IMPORTANT: Please send your documents to the attention of Graduate Admissions.
  • The institution of higher education that I attended only issues summary transcripts (mark sheets), but SJSU requires term-by-term transcripts. What should I do?
    Besides requesting your institution to send the official transcripts to SJSU, you must also ask your institution to send an official letter to GAPE at SJSU confirming such a policy.
  • I missed the application (or document) deadline for the coming cohort. Is there a way for me to take classes and then apply for the next admission term?

 Transferring courses or applications and final decisions

  • I am thinking about transferring to an on-campus program at SJSU. Can I transfer the courses I have taken so far to the on-campus program?

If you want to apply to an on-campus program you must do so via CSU Mentor in a subsequent application cycle. If you are accepted to an on-campus program after taking some courses in this program, the on-campus program will decide whether your earned off-campus units are transferrable. You should contact both your off-campus and on-campus graduate advisors before making your decision.

  • I was recently admitted (or withdrawn) by an on-campus program. Can I transfer my application to an off-campus program?
    Please contact the GAPE office. Applications are only transferrable to off-campus programs during the same admission term that you originally applied for.
  • If my application is transferred, do I have to resubmit the required documents and/or pay the application fee again?
  • I have already submitted or transferred my application to the program. When will I know a final admission decision?
    After a thorough evaluation of each completed application, the Program Admission Committee submits the admission recommendation to the University. The University then makes the final admission decision and notifies the applicant. Please wait for the notification by the University about the admission decision. The program is not authorized to provide evaluation results to the applicants. Meanwhile, you can view your application status via MySJSU.

International Students

  • How do I make the determination to apply for domestic or international application status when my bachelor's degree is from another country?
    For the Online MSSE program with concentration in Cybersecurity, please do the following when filling out the application:
    • Application Type: DOMESTIC APPLICATION (even if you are in international applicant)
    • VISA status: when prompted to choose a VISA status, choose U (for unauthorized)
    • Term Applying for:  Fall 2015
    • Major/Program Objective: Software Engineering Special Session
    • Option/Emphasis/Concentration: Cybersecurity Online (needs to be typed in)
  • Does the program require a TOEFL, IELTS or PTE? If so, what is the required score?

Yes, you have to complete one of TOEFL, IELTS or PTE.
The minimum scores required are one of:

    • TOEFL = 550 (paper-based). 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based)
    • IELTS= 7.0
    • PTE= 68
  • Does my bachelor's degree from a non-US institution qualify me for a graduate program at SJSU?
    CSU eligibility for graduate programs requires the completion of a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized, accredited, and approved institution from a foreign country, or the completion of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Can I get into a graduate program with a three-year Bachelor's degrees from India?
    Unfortunately, no.

    However, here are some general guidelines: If you continue your education in India, you might consider continuing your education in the same or related field from an accredited university and earn a "Masters" degree in India. The 2 year Masters degree plus the 3 years bachelor's in India is equivalent to the four years bachelor's degree in the U.S. We will also accept an additional year of coursework culminating in the Postgraduate Diploma from an accredited university that is in the same or closed related field as your 3 year bachelor's degree. Note: Years of study must culminate in that degree's equivalency to the 4 years of comprehensive study in the U.S. Within the Indian educational system, we consider this culmination to be either the Masters degree or the Post Graduate Diploma from an accredited university; therefore, you cannot simply take more courses without a resultant PG diploma or Masters Degree. If you earn the Masters degree or postgraduate diploma in India we will need the provisional and final degree certificate upon graduation.

    If you remain in the United States, it is recommended that students with a three-year degree apply for undergraduate admissions at a four year regionally accredited college or university as an upper division (junior or senior level) transfer student and complete a bachelor's degree. Depending on how many transfer units are awarded, it should take about two years of full-time study to earn a U.S. bachelor's degree. If you decide to do this, please make an appointment with an Undergraduate Admissions Counselor at the college you plan to attend who works closely with international transfer students. To meet with an admissions counselor at San José State, go to www.sjsu.edu/soar to view the pre-admission counseling hours or call 408-924-2564.     

    SJSU requires that all applicants with foreign coursework provide a WES (World Education Services) document-by-document evaluation (Basic or ICAP). Mark sheets/transcripts must be sent directly to WES for evaluation. SJSU must receive the academic record and the evaluation directly from WES. A complete WES evaluation is preferred. DO NOT send foreign transcripts to SJSU as they will not be considered for your application.   

    SJSU will not accept evaluations from institutions other than WES. Please visit WES for more information.     

    If you are currently in an undergraduate program outside the U.S., you will be required to send your transcripts for semesters 1-7 to WES by the document deadline for your program. The completed WES evaluation with the eighth semester and degree confirmation will be required at a later date, should you be admitted into SJSU.
  • I'm not sure of the conversion of my international bachelor's degree program percentage to GPA. What do I put in the GPA field on the CSU Mentor application?
    When applying on CSU Mentor, if you are unsure how to calculate GPA conversion to the US 4.0 system, use the place holder of "3.0" until GAPE receives the hard copies of your transcript and can make the evaluation. See the above questions regarding document submission for international/non-US resident applicants.

III. Taking Classes

  • I am a working professional in Silicon Valley. It is feasible for me to attend classes?
    Yes. All courses are offered online. The schedule of mandatory sessions will be posted before you commit to the course of study.
  • How do I enroll in a class?
    Prior to each semester, the Program Specialist will send you course codes. With these course codes you can enroll the courses online via MySJSU. You must pay special attention to fee payment deadlines for off-campus programs.
  • Who do I contact with registration problems?
    If you cannot log into your MySJSU account or experience difficulties registering, please contact the Information Technology Support Services (ITS). If you need to manually add your course please contact the Program Specialist for program the program.
  • Can I transfer credits from other institutions or programs?
    You can only transfer the exact courses required by this program. If you have questions about course substitutions you should contact your program coordinator ASAP to discuss how to petition for a course exemption.
  • Do I need advising before enroll in a class?
    If a student's overall GPA is 3.0 or higher, a pre-registration advising is not necessary. A student with an overall GPA below 3.0 must seek the advice from the program coordinator before enrolling in any class.
  • I am a student of an on-campus program; can I take a course in this program?
  • Am I eligible to be hired in a role designated for on-campus students at SJSU?
  • What is the minimum load?
    One course per semester. A student will lose his/her active status if the student does not take a class for two consecutive semesters. Students must file a Leave of Absence Form prior to the first semester of leave to avoid losing active status while on leave. Otherwise, the student must reapply to the university to regain active status
  • How can I find out the textbook selection for a class?
    The Program Specialist will send out the syllabus before each class begins.

IV. Master Project

  • What are the requirements of CMPE 295W?
    • Completed all admission conditions and in good standing
    • Completed core course
    • File a candidacy form and approve by the graduate advisor
    • Have a minimum 3.0 overall SJSU graduate course GPA
    • Have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA of all grades received for the courses listed on the Candidacy Form (except writing course)
  • What are the prerequisites of CMPE 295B?
    • Admission to Candidacy of Master Degree (with satisfied writing requirement) which is approved by GAPE
    • Satisfactorily completed CMPE 295A
  • Due to an unforeseen situation I can’t complete a project course this semester, what should I do?
    • A student receives a RP (Report in Progress) grade if:
      • The project scope changes, or
      • The student encounters documented, unforeseen circumstances that would satisfy the requirements for a grade of “I” (Incomplete) in a letter-graded course.
    • An RP grade can be changed to CR in the following cases:
      • A student satisfactorily completes course requirements within one calendar month from the last day of instruction. (The student doesn't have to enroll the same course in the following semester.)
      • A student re-enrolls in the course in the following semester and satisfactorily completes the course requirements. (This process may be repeated for subsequent semesters up to the limit provided by the university catalog.)*
      • A student satisfactorily completes course requirements as per a completion contract between the faculty member, the student and the Graduate Advisor.
      • (*A student can claim only one CMPE 295A and one CMPE 295B in the Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy form.)
  • Last semester, I received an “RP” grade of my CMPE 295A (or CMPE 295B). What do I need to do to change my grade?
    A student who has received an RP grade must complete an RP Grade Contract and follow the policy described in the contract.

V. Degree Requirements

  • What are the requirements for me to receive the degree?
    • Complete all 10 required courses with C or better grade of each course, and 3.0 or better overall GPA.
    • Satisfy any admission conditions.
    • Satisfy Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR (CMPE 295W)).
  • What is Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)? How can I complete it?
    • GWAR stands for Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement and it is a degree requirement for all SJSU graduate students. You can meet GWAR in one of the following ways:
      • Complete CMPE 295W, CMPE 294 or ENGR 200W
      • Met writing requirement as an undergraduate at a California State University (e.g., ENGR 100W at SJSU)
      • Sole author in professional publication - requires approval by AVP Graduate Studies and Research
      • Completed technical writing course at another university - requires approval by COE Technical Communications Director and AVP Graduate Studies and Research
  • What are on-probation and disqualification?
    A student with less than a 3.0 GPA will be put on probation. A student on probation with a less than 3.0 GPA in the subsequent semester will be disqualified. If you are either on-probation or disqualified, you must consult with your program’s Academic Program Coordinator ASAP.
  • I received a C in a course. Do I have to repeat the course?
    No. C is considered a passing grade for a graduate course (a C- is not). However, you must maintain a 3.0 GPA overall in order to avoid probation.
  • When should I apply to graduate?
    Please be sure that you have an *APPROVED* candidacy form on file PRIOR to submitting an application for graduation. Deadline to apply for graduation can be found here: www.sjsu.edu/gape/current_students/deadlines/
  • I have applied for graduation. What happens next?
    We will evaluate graduation requests in the order they were received. As soon as we have completed our review, you will receive a message in your MySJSU account confirming your graduation status.  We will begin the review of May graduation after Spring grades have been posted to your transcripts.

VI.The Hybrid Program and the Silicon Valley Professional Experience Option

  • What is the Silicon Valley Experience option?
    A student may spend one or more semesters in Silicon Valley, benefiting from the direct experience of this dynamic and professionally rewarding environment, with all its opportunities. The online component will be complemented by personal, face-to-face interaction with the faculty members of the program. The Silicon Valley Experience option may also involve project work with our partners in Silicon Valley for students with the appropriate skillsets. International students choosing this option will be eligible for the practical training options (OPT) in the US, and in Silicon Valley in particular (see below).
  • What are the requirements for applying for the Silicon Valley Experience option?
    The student must be in classified good standing (GPA of at least 3.0, no conditions remaining) and have completed at least one semester of the program.

International students and the Silicon Valley Experience option

  • May international students apply for the Silicon Valley Experience option?
  • Does SJSU issue an I-20 for students in the Silicon Valley Experience option?
  • Are international students in the Silicon Valley Experience option eligible for internships (CPT) and post-graduation professional experience (OPT)?
    Yes, after completing two semesters of full-time study in the US under the Silicon Valley Experience option a student is eligible for practical training. These are the same rules as for international students in other programs at SJSU.

    Students completing the program with the Silicon Valley Experience option and with two or more full-time semesters in the US may have up to 29 months of OPT after graduation.

VII. Financial Aid & General Info

  • How can I find information about financial aid?
    For financial aid information, please refer to Financial Aid & Scholarship Office at http://www.sjsu.edu/faso/.
  • Where can I obtain more general information regarding graduate studies?
    More complete, accurate, and updated information is available from SJSU's Office of Graduate Studies and Research website at http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/.
  • What is the best way to contact the program office?
    If you have a question regarding the degree program, please send an email to msse-cybersecurity@sjsu.edu.
  • My employer is asking for degree verification. Where do I request this  document?
    Please send a request for a Letter of Degree Verification (after your degree has been awarded) to registrar@sjsu.edu and include your SJSU ID, full name and graduation date.