SVBCC Director Job Description
Job Title: Director, Silicon Valley Big Data and Cybersecurity Center
Job ID: 23493
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312 - Administrator II
Department: SV Big Data And Cybersecurity Center
Compensation: Classification: Administrator II
Salary Range: $3,635/month - $11,973/month / FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The College of International and Extended Studies (CIES) offers programs dedicated to Access, International Programs, and Innovation. CIES' programs provide access to San Josè State University courses, degrees and certificates for students in Silicon Valley and from around the world.
The Director of the Silicon Valley Big Data and Cybersecurity Center ("the Center") works in close consultation with the College Deans and the University leadership to cultivate an environment conducive to multi-disciplinary collaboration in teaching, research, program development, and grants development. Reporting to the Dean of the College of International & Extended Studies (CIES), the Director drives outreach efforts through various events, and establishes collaborative relationships between the Center and other partners in the cybersecurity and big data domains, nationally and internationally.
The Director also provides operational leadership and management of the Center, including staff management, program/research management and growth, and quality assurance of programs and services. The Center has a self-supporting component, thus the Director must manage its operation and budget to ensure fiscal soundness and viability.
The responsibilities of the Director require a results-based leader with superior management and relationship development skills. Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Management, Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Outreach, External Relations, and Internal Engagement
- Research Development
- Curriculum and Program Development
Education and Experience
- A master's degree (PhD preferred) in an applicable field (e.g., cybersecurity, information assurance, information security, informatics, etc.) from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum three years' work experience as an administrator (e.g., manager, assistant/associate director, or director level and above).
- Minimum three years' work experience in the cybersecurity and/or big data domains.
- Demonstrated expertise with program building within an academic or other institution.
- Experience in strategic planning and successful plan execution.
- Experience planning, managing, and overseeing operations (e.g., budgets, resources, agreements and contracts, etc.) of an organization.
- Record of developing, securing, and managing grants or other external funding.
- Record of research activities in applicable fields.
- Demonstrated success of initiating and stewarding external and internal relationships with potential clients and stakeholder groups.
- Two years of college-level teaching experience with demonstration of commitment to teaching in the fields of cybersecurity and big data.
- Professional industry certification knowledge (e.g., CEH, CISM, and CISSP) as well as knowledge of NSA/DHS National Center of Academic Excellence Designation in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE) is preferred.
- Experience managing staff to create an organizational environment that promotes customer service excellence, job satisfaction, and commitment to the mission.
- Excellent written communication skills (based on application materials).
- Experience giving presentations.
- Experience implementing goal setting strategies and managing multiple priorities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledgeable in applying University, CSU, local and federal guidelines and policies that impact the Center's operations and services.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to secure and manage grant proposals.
- Knowledge of corporate, federal and international funding agencies, practices, and procedures.
- Deep knowledge of cybersecurity and big data disciplines and practice, and the ability to translate theory and practice into learning opportunities that advance the discipline.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods and techniques of developing and administering large-scale higher education programs.
- Skilled in the development and implementation of strategic plans, financial plans, and budgets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external constituencies and stakeholders.
- Deadline-driven, detail oriented, demonstrated organizational and analytical skills.
- Skilled in developing highly productive staff and faculty contributors.
- Skilled in initiating and stewarding external and internal relationships with potential partners and stakeholder groups.
- Skilled in persuasive communication.
- Advanced written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; tact and political acumen to effectively represent the Center, CIES and SJSU; including skills to produce information that is appropriately presented to and effectively received by target constituencies.
- Skilled in recognizing potential areas of constituency concerns, and the ability to resolve and/or mitigate problems or issues.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to balance competing priorities and complex situations.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Skilled in planning, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relations, and communicate effectively to internal and external constituencies and stakeholders the education programs, research activities, and services offered by the Center.
- Ability to manage time, organize and plan short- and long-term work projects, meet deadlines and complete assignments in a goal-oriented, self-support environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and write thoughtful, competitive grant proposals, which may include complex, multi-year budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and manage contractual grant agreements.
- Ability to work collegially with university leadership and all faculty and staff within a shared governance structure.
- Ability to communicate accurate information and informed opinions in writing or orally to varied audiences.
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop relevant policies and procedures.
Posting Date: November 3, 2015
First Screening Date: Application Screening Begins November 18, 2015
Required Application Material:
Resume / Letter of Interest / Two representative scholarly publications / List of References / Complete SJSU Online Employment Application / Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact Information: One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046