Frequently Asked Questions

How to register for a course?

Please see the MySJSU tutorial for more information.

Can I add a course after the deadline?

You can add a course provided you meet the prerequisite requirements and the instructor sign your registration form. Complete a "Late Enrollment" form (PDF) in the Form Section and submit it to the College of International and Extended Studies (CIES) office located at One Washington Square, Student Union - CIES, San Jose CA 95192-0135 or fax to 408-924-2666 for Associate Dean's approval.

Can I drop my classes and receive a refund?

Since classes offered through Professional Development Degree Program start on different dates during the semester, they do not follow the same refund calendar.

To calculate refund percentage, please do the following:

  • Drop before class starts, 100% refund
  • Count the number of calendar days of your class (start to end, including weekends). This number of days is class length.
  • Calculate 10% of class length. This is the deadline for partial refund.
  • From start date to deadline for partial refund, students will get 75%.
  • After this deadline, there will be no refund.

Students are responsible to drop class officially. Failure to attend may not cause students to be dropped from a class automatically. Failure to drop officially from a course generates a failing grade of “F” or “WU” and fees will be charged to student account.

How can I apply?

Contact department for details about the program. For deadline and document requirements, visit the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations website.

How can I obtain a transcript?

To order official transcripts, visit the Office of the Registrar.

How can I pay?

Please see the Office of Bursar's Office Methods of Payment for more information.

How do I access my grades?

Grades will be available within two to three weeks after the course completes. Access your grades via online, MySJSU (UserID and password required).

How do I drop a course?

Complete the drop process either by dropping online on mySJSU account or filing a Petition for Course Drop. All approval signatures/permissions are required. Leaving a course without authorization will result in a WU (F) grade.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. San Jose State University offers limited financial aid, which may consist of Grant(s) and/or Stafford Loan. There are a number of restrictions on these funds, which are outlined below.

How does it work?

Students are required to register in a minimum of half-time units of attendance at this university to qualify for receipt of financial aid. Students must be admitted on a regular basis to the University AND be enrolled at SJSU.

What are the requirements?

  • Must be a SJSU matriculated student.
  • Must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and submitted all supporting documents.
  • Must be enrolled in the minimum number of units required: at least half time (6 total units for undergraduate).
  • Applicants must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

How much am I eligible for?

The amount and type of financial aid you will be eligible for will depend on many factors, including grade level, need, and total number of units that you are enrolled in for the semester. As an undergraduate student, you are eligible to receive federal financial aid only for enrollment in the special session courses. Federal aid programs include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Grant, Federal Perkins Loan and the Direct Stafford Loans. However, if you are also enrolled in regular courses your award will be calculated on the combination of all units which may qualify for receipt of additional financial aid. If you are unsure about your exact circumstance, you can discuss it with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. All funding and awards are based on federal and state budgets and legislature changes. Awards are subject to change at any time.

How do I start the process?

Prior to registering for classes, you should see a Financial Aid Counselor. The staff member at the counter will review your overall financial aid eligibility and have you complete all required paperwork for the financial aid processing. You will be notified of your revised award via your MySJSU, if applicable. Any shortfall not covered by financial aid is the responsibility of the student.

Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office website for additional information.

The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office is located in the Student Services Center (SSC), first floor, corner of 9th and San Fernando Streets.

When is my tuition due?

Spring and Fall: 21 days from the date of registration
Summer: 15 days from the date of registration