Professional & Service Activity
Professional Services (selected)
- International Science Matters Committee—Founder, coordinator, 2007-
- Foundation For the Future, Seattle—Consulting Scholar, 2002-
- American Physical Society California Section—member of Steering Committee, Program
Committee and Nominating Committee, 2000-
- Physics (a magazine/journal published by the Chinese Physical Society) – Editorial Board
- International Liquid Crystal Society – Initiator/Organizer, Board of Directors member, Chair of Conference Committee, 1990-1994.
- SJSU Woodward Conference Proceedings Series (published by Springer-Verlag) -- Founder
and Coeditor, 1988-
- International Book Series Partially Ordered Systems(published by Springer‑Verlag) — Founder; Coeditor, 1987-1999; Editor-in-Chief, 1999-
- Liquid Crystals (an international journal, Taylor and Francis) -- Editorial Board member, 1986-1990.
- The Planning and Steering Committee for International Liquid Crystal Conferences --
Elected Member, 1984-1990.
- Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals (an international journal, Gordon and Breach) -- Associate Editor, 1981-1993
- Chinese Liquid Crystal Society—Cofounder, Vice-President, Secretary General, 1980-1983.
Major International Conferences Organized
- Cochair, Bettering Humanity: Secular Historical Movements, Cascais, Portugal, Oct. 25-27, 2017.
- Cochair, All About Science: Philosophy, History, Sociology & Communication, Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 21-23, 2011.
- Cochair, Arts and Science, Estoril, Portugal, Oct. 5-7, 2009.
- Cochair, First International Conference on Science Matters: A Unified Perspective, Ericeira, Portugal, May 28-30, 2007.
- Member, Steering Committee, Workshop on Modeling Complex Systems, Reno, Nevada, November 20-21, 2002.
- Cochair, International Conference on Pattern Formation and Self-Organization in Nonlinear Complex
Systems, Beijing, China, June 11-15, 2001
- International Advisory Committee member, International Conference on Science Communication, Beijing, China, November 5-9, 2000.
- Cochair, Workshop on Soft Matter, Beijing, China, June 19-28, 2000
- Cochair, First International Conference on Complex Systems in Computational Physics, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 18-22, 1993.
- Cochair, Novel Laser Sources and Applications, San Jose, California, Nov. 12-13, 1993.
- Cochair, Modeling Complex Phenomena, San Jose, California, April 12-13, 1991.
- Director, Nonlinear Dynamical Structures in Simple and Complex Liquids, NATO Advanced Research Workshop, Los Alamos, New Mexico, June 1990 (Codirectors: G. Ahlers and F. Dowell).
- Chair, Instabilities and Propagating Patterns in Soft Condensed Matter, Symposium of APS March Meeting, Anaheim, California, March 1990.
- Codirector, Winter School on Nonlinear Physics, San Jose, California, Jan. 1990 (other codirector: M. Nauenburg).
- Cochair, Nonlinear Structures in Physical Systems: Pattern Formation, Chaos and Waves, San Jose, Nov. 1989.
- Chair, Optics and Applications of Liquid Crystals, Symposium of APS March Meeting, San Louis, March 1989.
Science and Society Seminars (given in colleges and high schools)
- When Life’s Tape is Replayed
- Understanding the Real World
- Does God Exist?
- What Happened to My New Book?—The Birth of a Possible Research Project
- Chien-Shiung Wu: The First Woman President of the American Physical Society
- How Scientific is the Scientific Method?
- God, Science, Scientists