Dr. Nader F. Mir
Professor of Electricl Engineering
Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering
One Washington Square
Last Degree Earned
Ph.D, 1995 (dissertaion defence Dec. 1994), Doctor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Washington University. Research Concentration: Analysis of High-Speed Switching Systems in Computer Networks
Current Professional Career Summary
- Professor (also served previously as Department Associate Chair), Department of Electrical Engineering, San Jose State University, California.
- Patent Litigation Consultant: focusing on IPR, EPR, and PGR proceedings.
- Network Analysis
- Digital Communications
- Fundamentals of Computer Networks and Internetworking
- Probability and Stochastic Processes
- Broadband Communication Networks
- VoIP and Multimedia Networking
Thesis/Project Supervision and Student Advising
- Supervised theses/graduate projects
- Served as the member of other Master’s and PhD thesis defense committees
Most Recent Books Published
N. F. Mir, "Computer and Communication Networks” a worldwide adopted textbook:
3rd Edition - Textbook:
2nd Edition - Textbook:
US Patent 7,012,895 B1, Inventor: N. F. Mir, "Packet-Switching Network with Symmetrical Topology and Method of Routing Packets", application no. 09/715,693, disclosure no. 907, invention approved: March 15, 2006.
Sample Journal Editorial and Advisory Board Positions
- 2005 to 2020, Technical Editor, IEEE Communication Magazine
- 2015 to present, Series Technical Editor, IEEE Communications Standards Magazine.
- 2012 to present, Editorial Advisory Board Member, Journal of Computing and Information Technology
Sample Journal Publications, Refereed
- N. F. Mir, and S. Loreta, “Cloud and Edge Computing,” IEEE Communications Standards Magazine, Editorial, pp. 1, June 2019.
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “Optimal Multicasting Control of Multimedia Streaming in Cloud Data Centers Networks,” International Journal on Advances in Networks and Services (IJANS), Vol. 12, No. 12, June 2019.
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “Improvement of Available Bitrate (ABR) Streaming in Content-Delivery Networks (CDNs),” Global Journal of Engineering and Technology Review, Vol. 3(4), Oct. – Dec. 2018.
- N. F. Mir, and S. Loreta, “Cloud and Edge Computing,” IEEE Communications Standards Magazine, Editorial, pp. 1, Dec. 2017.
Sample Conference Talks and Refereed Proceedings Publications
- N. F. Mir, et. al.,“Application of Deep Learning in Dynamic Link-Level Virtualization of Cloud Networks Through the Learning Process,” 5th International Symposium on Computer Science and Intelligent Control (ISCSIC`21), Rome, Italy, Nov. 12-14, 2021. (to be published/presented)
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “Finding Critical Packet-Drop Levels of Streaming at Cloud Edge Networks and a Proposed Solution,” Computing Conference (Computing’21), London, UK, July 15-16, 2021.
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “Optimal Bandwidth and Delay of Video Streaming Traffic in Cloud Data Center Server,” 14th International Conference on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud and Internet Computing (3PGCIC’19), Antwerp, Belgium, Nov. 7-9, 2019.
- N. F. Mir, “Multimedia Traffic and Signaling over Smart Cellular Networks, Challenges and Solutions,” 2nd IEEE International Conference on Communication Engineering and Technology (ICCET’19), Nagoya, Japan, Mar. 12-15, 2019.
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “Efficient Video-Based Packet Multicast Method for Multimedia Control in Cloud Data Center Networks,” Proceedings of 13th International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications (ICNSC’18), Nice, France, Oct. 14-18, 2018.
- N. F. Mir, et. al., “An Improved Metadata Model for Big Data Processing in Cloud Data Centers,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI’17), Las Vegas, Nevada, Dec. 14-16, 2017.
Samle Conference Organizing/Chairing, and Member of Steering/Technical Program Committees (TPC)
- Conference TPC Member, The 6th International Conference on Signal Processing (ICOSP 2020), Amsterdam, Netherland, Oct. 14-16, 2020.
- Conference TPC Member, The International Conference on Big data, IoT, and Cloud Computing (BIC-20), Jeju, Korea, Aug. 17-19, 2020.
- Conference Organizer, The 3rd IEEE International Conference on Software Defined Networks and Network Function Virtualization (SDN-NFV’19), 5GIIoTCom Workshop, Dallas, Texas, June 11-12, 2019.
- Conference Chair, 2nd IEEE International Conference onCommunication Engineering and (ICCET’19), Nagoya, Japan, Mar. 12-15, 2019.
- Conference Organizing Chair, The IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication Networks (ICCCN’16), Guangzhou, China, July 30-August 2, 2018.
Sample Awards and Research Grants
- Award, Nancy Wheeler Nelson Faculty Excellence Award, November 27, 2017.
- Award, Faculty Service Recognition Award, San Jose State University, California, March 9, 2017.
- Award, Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering, April 30, 2015.
- Author Award, Faculty Author Award, San Jose State University, October 27, 2014.
- Award, Performance Tutorial Award, “Cloud Computing and Applications in VoIP and Media Networks,” the 8th International Conference on Advances in Computer Science (ACS’13), April 10-13, 2013.
- In Final Top 3 Nominees List for the University Outstanding Professor Award, academic year 2009-2010.
- Research Grant, PI, Agency: CENIC Network Research Foundation, Title: Phase-I, An End-To-End Protocol for Protection of California Forests from Fire through Surveillance Sensor Networks, Duration: July 1, 2004 to January 30, 2005.
- Award, Most Effective Professor Award, Institute of Electrical and Electronic EngineersIEEE-SJSU Society, San Jose State University, May 14, 2004.
- Award, Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Golden-Key International Honor Society, San Jose State University, April 6, 2004.
- Award, College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (College Instructional Recognition Grant), Duration: January 2003 – June 2003.