- B.S : Metallurgical and Materials Eng, Middle East Technical University,Turkey (2005)
- M.S: Metallurgical and Materials Eng, Middle East Technical University Turkey (2008)
- Ph.D: Materials Engineering,Purdue University West Lafayette (2013)
- Assistant Professor, San Jose State University (August 2015-)
- Lecturer and Senior Research Associate, Illinois Institute of Technology (2013-2015)
Research and Scholarly Interests
Details can be found at http://www.ozgurkeles.com/.
My group develops artificially-intelligent discovery machines that use active learning and high-throughput approaches to discover new, synthesizable, and processable materials in unexplored chemical and structural spaces. We investigate processing-structure-property-design (PSP-D) interrelationships in tough, strong, lightweight, multi-functional, and sustainable materials. We couple advanced additive manufacturing techniques to control hierarchical structures from sub-nano to macro-scale with data-driven numerical approaches to discover material nature.
- NSF, CAREER: Multi-scale Mechanical Behavior of Quantum Dot Nanocomposites: Towards Data-driven Automatic Discovery of High-performance Structures, PI: Keles 2022.
- National Endowment for the Arts, Exploring San Jose Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Design through 3D Printing Technology, PI: Yoon Chung Han, co-PI: Keles, 2022.
- DOE, PARC Xerox, Scalable Ceramic ALignment for Electro-active Structures (SCALES), Subcontract: Keles, PI: Elif Karatay, 2020.
- NSF, MRI: Acquisition of a metal additive manufacturing system for multi-disciplinary research and education, PI: Keles, co-PIs: Birsen Sirkeci, Feruza Amirkulova, Raymond Yee, David Yan, 2019.
Some of my current research projects are:
*. Processing discovery: Machine learning-enhanced high throughput (HT) structure control in selective laser melted titaniums, zirconias, BZT-BCT lead-free piezeocereamics, and quantum dot containing thermosets.
*. Structure discovery: HT characterization of nanoscale hierarchical toughening in quantum dot containing polymer and ceramic composites
*. Data-driven recycling planning for smart cities: How to change materials, manufacturing policies to drive sustainable socio-economic development?
*. Mechanics of additively manufactured bioinspired composites and polymers
*. Automatic discovery machines for ultrasonic mixing, nano-liter droplet deposition, and robotic sample preparation coupled with field-assisted additive manufacturing
*. Hierarchical toughening in thermosetting structural battery composites
*. Hierarchical toughening in selective laser melted (SLMed)
*. Virtual reality engineering education (VR-EE), Virtual learning environments for engineers and society
*. Atlas of Materials Complexity, accelerating multi-functional design, materials, manufacturing innovation