Asst Professor, Sociology & Interdisc Soc Sci
Preferred: (408) 924-5333
August 2022 to July 2023 serving as Resident Director, CSU International Programs, France.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Univ Of Cal-Davis, 2003
- Master of Arts, Sociology, Univ Of Cal-Davis, 1997
- Bachelor of Arts, History, Univ Of Texas At Austin, 1981
I teach the Sociology Capstone course regularly and courses that are part of the Community Change Concentration. These courses include Work, Power and Leisure; Social Change; Social Action; Political Sociology; and Poverty, Wealth, and Privilege.
In my resesarch I have been studying the organizing strategies and tactics of workers and unions. I studied the Justice for Janitors campaigns and have collected oral histories from residents of the Eastern Sierra about the Vons grocery strike of 2004-5. By means of these projects I have been working on an explanation of the effects of "neoliberalism" or "market fundamentalism" on the politics of the labor and the working class in the United States.
- Dept. of Sociology SJSU
- SJSU Career Center: Explore Careers Options
- American Sociological Association
- Pacific Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- ASA Labor and Labor Movements Section
- California Labor Federation
- UC Berkeley Institute for Research in Labor and Employment
- Internship opportunities with the Labor Movement
- California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc.
- Center for Third World Organizing
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights Internships
- Non Profit Jobs and Opportunities
- Green Careers
- US Department of Labor CareerOneStop Green Careers
- Californians for Justice
- Race Forward: Racial Justice through Media, Research, Activism
- Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition