Associate Professor & Interim Chair, Mechanical Engineering
Preferred: (408) 924-3841
MW 9 - 10 am (in-person); for other times, please email email@example.com
Office Location: Mechanical Engineering Office Suite - E310
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2012
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2010
B-Tech, Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology (NIT), Calicut, India, 2005
Primary research interests: Design Theory & Methodology, New Product Development
Current research areas: design creativity, design automation, additive manufacturing, design of assistive/rehabilitation devices, energy harvesting devices, engineering education
Other roles @ SJSU
Director - Innovations in Design Engineering & Analyses (IDEA) Lab
Faculty Advisor - The Spartan Hyperloop
Past Academic Positions:
- San Jose State University, San Jose, CA - Assistant Professor (2016 - 2020)
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL - Assistant Professor (2014-2016)
- Georgia Institute of Technology - Post doctoral researcher & part-time instructor (2012-2014)
- Texas A&M University - Instructor (Senior Design) (2012)
Most Recent Publications:
(For a complete list, please visit the link below)
* indicates student co-authors
- Runyon, M., Viswanathan, V., Talley, K., Hammond, T., and Linsey, J., 2021, “Mechanix: An Intelligent Web Interface for Automatic Grading of Sketched Free Body Diagrams,” ASEE Annual Conference, virtual conference.
- Mokadam*, A., Shivakumar*, S., Viswanathan, V., and Agumbe-Suresh, M., 2021, “Online Product Review Analysis to Automate the Extraction of Customer Requirements,” ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) – Design Theory & Methodology (DTM), virtual event.
- Bose*, A., and Viswanathan, V., 2021, “Mitigating the Piston Effect in High-speed Hyperloop Transportation: A Study on the Use of Aerofoils,” Energies Special Issue on Hyperloop and Associated Technologies, 14 (2), pp. 464, DOI: 10.3390/en14020464, available here.
- Viswanathan. V., and Linsey, J., 2020, “Designing with Examples: A Study on the Role of Familiarity, Warnings and Physical Modeling,” Journal of Engineering Design, DOI: 10.1080/09544828.2020.1851356.
- Solomon, J., Hamilton, E., Viswanathan, V., and Nayak, C., 2020, “A PROTOCOL Based Blended Model for Fluid Mechanics Instruction,” Journal of STEM Education, 21 (3), pp. 19-27, available here.
Viswanathan, V., Hurt, J., Talley, K., Shryock, K, Caldwel, B., and Linsey, J., 2020, “A Study on the Impact of a Sketch-based Tutoring System in Statics Instruction,” ASEE Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Viswanathan, V., Mirza*, S., Nayak, C., and Calhoun, M.,2020, “Evaluation of a Puzzle-based Virtual Platform for Improving Spatial Visualization Skills in Engineering Freshmen,” ASEE Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Patel* H., Madhu* N., Nair* R., Kumar* M., Ganesh* A., Madireddy* I., Zaidi S., and Viswanathan V., Characterization of Sensors employed in an automated Knee Brace for Leg Muscle Rehabilitation, Southern California Conferences for Undergraduate Research (SCCUR), California State University, San Marcos, Oct 26, 2019. Link to the poster
- Sreekanth*, A., and Viswanathan, V., 2019, “A Study on the Role of Computer-aided Design in Design Creativity and Education,” Engineering Design Graphics Journal, 83(1).
Zaidi, S., Huynh*, A., Thach*, P., Rubio*, I., Patel*, H.., and Viswanathan**, V., 2019, “Design and Characterization of an Automated Assistive Knee Brace for Leg Muscle Rehabilitation,” ASME's International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2019), Salt Lake City, UT.
Courses at SJSU:
- ME 20 - Design & Graphics
- ME 101 - Dynamics
- ME 136 - Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (coordinator)
- ME 154 - Mechanical Design I
- ME 195 A &B - Senior Design Project (coordinator)
- ME 256 - Product Design (coordinator)
List of publications: Click Here
Visit Dr. Viswanathan's lab webpage here.