There are three associate deans in the College of Engineering who work in collaboration with each other and support the dean. My position is the designated management position, giving me personnel responsibilities in addition to overseeing undergraduate education in our college. My official duties as defined by my offer letter are listed as follows:
Initiatives and Accomplishments
- Served as General Chair of 2018 Frontiers in Education Conference in San Jose, CA
- Established EPICS @SJSU program: website, video from NBC 12 Deg of Inspiration
- Expanded Engineering Ambassador Program by adding Synopsys-funded Science Fair Mentoring Program with East Side HS District High Schools (2017-18; renewed for 2018-19).
- Brought Project Lead the Way (PLTW) K-12 Teacher Training Program to sustainable financial operations with $400K in annual revenue in 2015; transistioned program to the national organization in 2018.
- Researched, designed, and implemented laboratory safety policies in the college to promote faculty buy-in, shared responsibility, and culture of safety (2018).
- Reorganized Engineering Student Success Center and added 5 additional advisors and data technician. New programs include updated major probation program, change of major advising and freshman study plan, block scheduling of new frosh, and guided pathways advising.
- Led ten engineering-named undergraduate degree programs through reaccreditation with ABET in 2017-18 and two technology concentrations through ATMAE in 2017.
- Established supplemental course criteria for transfer student admissions in Fall 2016 and ENGR Eligibility Index for freshman admissions in Fall 2017.
- Administered the implementation of seven showcase laboratories (one per department) from 2015-2017: Space Systems Integration, Advanced Manufacturing Lab, Characterization Lab, CMPE Senior Project Lab, IEEE Student Clubroom, Human Factors Lab, and Hybrid/Electric Vehicles
- Oversaw construction of three new office suites: Aerospace Engineering Department suite, Biomedical Engineering Department suite, and Engineering Student Success Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the COE Strategic Plan, and lead efforts in Priority 1: Innovative and Experiential Learning
- Enforce university policies on academic rules, processes, faculty duty, and responsibility
- Represent Dean's Office in COE meetings; represent COE in university meetings
- Develop, assess, and oversee accreditation of our programs
- Convene COE Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, and provide operational oversight along with chairs
- Oversee advising and student success in undergraduate programs; review student petitions
- Lead outreach and recruitment efforts
- Implement enrollment management, impaction, and admissions policies
- Resolve staff and faculty personnel issues with HR and Faculty Affairs
- Supervise staff supporting ESSC, PLTW, ECS, web services, event coordination, and Central Shops
- Oversee temporary faculty hiring
- Manage potentially unsafe working conditions; oversee facilities