January 21, 2014
TO: CASA Faculty, Staff, and Student Organization Advisors
FROM: Charles C. Bullock, Dean
College of Applied Sciences and Arts
Jessica Chin, Chair
Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED)
RE: 2014 CEED DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS - CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED) is pleased to announce a “Call for Nominations” for:
- CEED Distinguished Student Service Award (both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible);
- CEED Distinguished Student Organization Service Award;
- CEED Distinguished Faculty Service Award; and
- CEED Distinguished Staff Service Award.
The purpose of the CEED Awards is to recognize those individuals and groups that have
demonstrated excellence in promoting and fostering a deeper understanding of equity
and diversity as they relate to issues of age, class, disability, ethnicity, gender,
race, religion and/or sexual orientation.
To qualify for these awards, the nominees must satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement on the San José State University campus;
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement in the community;
- Outstanding activities and projects that contribute to a better understanding of equity and diversity issues.
Each CASA department/school is permitted three student nominations, one student organization nomination, one faculty nomination and one staff nomination. The nomination form is available at www.sjsu.edu/casa/awards/ceed/ceed_form.html. Please note the following when completing the form:
- Limit the “Justification for Recommendation” statement to 250 words maximum. (Statements exceeding 250 words will be disqualified.)
- Nominees will be rated on the following areas equally: Impact of activities, Collaboration and partnership, Leadership distinction, Initiative distinction and Courage and perseverance. Faculty and staff nominees will also be rated on: Contact with service recipients, Service responsibility as well as Academic/scholarly distinction (faculty only)
- Confer with other faculty and staff in your department/school when selecting the CEED nominees.
- Submission Process: When consensus is reached by the academic unit, either the dept/school's CEED representative, or designee as decided by the department, will submit the nomination forms.
- Deadline for electronic submission is February 19, 2014.
The CEED Committee will review the nominations and forward recommendations to the Dean for final review and approval. The Dean will recognize the 2014 CEED Distinguished Service Honorees on Tuesday, April 22, 2014. Honorees will receive an award commemorating their contribution to equity and diversity.
Dept/School CEED 2013/14 Representatives:
|Academic Unit||CEED Representative|
|Health Science||Suzy Ross||Susan.email@example.com|
|Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism Management||Yinghua (Michelle) Huang||Yinghua.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Journalism & Mass Communications||Bob Rucker||Robert.email@example.com|
|Justice Studies||Claudio Vera Sanchez||Claudio.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Library & Information Science||Pat Franks||Patricia.email@example.com|
|Nutrition, Food Science & Packaging||Colette La Salle||Colette.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Occupational Therapy||Megan Chang||Megan.email@example.com|
|College Rep.||Greg Payne 4-2900||Greg.firstname.lastname@example.org|