January 22, 2015
TO: CASA Faculty, Staff, Students and Student Organization Advisors
FROM: Alice Hines, Interim Dean
College of Applied Sciences and Arts
Colette La Salle, Chair
Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED)
RE: 2015 CEED DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS - CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED) is pleased to announce a “Call for Nominations” for:
- CEED Distinguished Student Service Award (both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible);
- CEED Distinguished Student Organization Service Award;
- CEED Distinguished Faculty Service Award; and
- CEED Distinguished Staff Service Award.
**Deadline for electronic submission is March 2, 2015.
The purpose of the CEED Awards is to recognize those individuals and groups that have
demonstrated excellence in promoting and fostering a deeper understanding of equity
and diversity as they relate to issues of age, class, disability, ethnicity, gender,
race, religion and/or sexual orientation.
To qualify for these awards, the nominees must satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement on the San José State University campus;
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement in the community;
- Outstanding activities and projects that contribute to a better understanding of equity and diversity issues.
This year we will accept self-nominations, but individuals can also nominate other individuals or organizations they feel worthy of the award. Each CASA department/school committee representative is permitted three student nominations, one student organization nomination, one faculty nomination and one staff nomination to move forward to the full committee for review, to determine the award recipients in each category. The nomination form is available at http://www.sjsu.edu/casa/awards/ceed/ceed_form.html. Please note the following when completing the form:
- Limit the “Justification for Recommendation” statement to 250 words maximum. (Statements exceeding 250 words will be disqualified.)
- Self-nominees are also asked to include a reference, including a name and contact information for someone who can confirm their service.
- Nominees will be rated on the following areas equally: Impact of activities, Collaboration and partnership, Leadership distinction, Initiative distinction and Courage and perseverance. Faculty and staff nominees will also be rated on: Contact with service recipients, Service responsibility as well as Academic/scholarly distinction (faculty only)
- Deadline for electronic submission is March 2, 2015.
The CEED Committee will review the nominations and forward recommendations to the Dean for final review and approval. The Dean will recognize the 2015 CEED Distinguished Service Honorees at a reception tentatively set for late April. Honorees will receive an award commemorating their contribution to equity and diversity.
Please contact Melissa Anderson, at 408-924-2900 or via email to email@example.com with any questions.
Dept/School CEED 2014/15 Representatives:
|Academic Unit||CEED Representative|
|Health Science||Suzy Ross||Susan.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hospitality Management||Jooyeon Haemail@example.com|
|Journalism & Mass Communications||Bob Rucker||Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Justice Studies||Edith Kinneyemail@example.com|
|Library & Information Science||Pat Franks||Patricia.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nursing||Lou Ellen Barnes-Willisemail@example.com|
|Nutrition, Food Science & Packaging||Colette La Salle||Colette.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Occupational Therapy||Lynne Andonianemail@example.com|
|Social Work||Cilla Shafferfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College Rep.||Greg Payne 4-2900||Greg.email@example.com|