Changing Your Name on Campus
Primary (Legal) Name vs "Preferred" Name
A campus "Preferred" name is the name a student wishes to be commonly known as, if different from their legal first name. The "Preferred" name will be used on class rosters.
Your Primary or Legal name will continue to be the your legal name and will be used on official university documentation:
- Official and Unofficial Transcripts
- Any documentation involving financial aid or student accounts
For additional information please see SJSU's Preferred Name Policy.
Using a "Preferred" Name at SJSU
Please see the following guides to update your name on following SJSU systems:
- SJSU Email
Changing Primary (Legal) Name through SJSU
- Once you have finalized your official legal name change, submit the Change of Name form
(the form states necessary documentation, id(s) and where to submit the form)
- If you need help with figuring out the process of getting your name changed legally please see Changing Your Legal Name.
- Id Please... A Guide to Changing California & Federal Identity Documents To Match Your Gender Identity by the Transgender Law Center
- Transgender Rights Toolkit: A Legal Guide For Trans People and Their Advocates by Lambda Legal
- U. S. States and Canadian Provinces: Instructions For Changing Name And Sex On Birth Certificate
- Changing Your Legal Documentation in California by the Transgender Law Center
- Identity Documents and Privacy by the National Center for Transgender Equality