MBA for Professionals
Ready for a promotion, expanded responsibilities or something completely new? This flexible MBA allows you to choose and adjust the pace at which you complete your degree. If you have been working for five or more years, the MBA for Professionals is for you. Please see below for all of the essential information and refer to our MBA FAQs for more detailed info.
Our admission requirements are the same for both of our MBA programs:
- Four-year bachelors degree (any major) from an accredited U.S. college or university or an equivalent degree from a recognized institution outside the United States
For transcripts or degrees earned outside of the United States and Canada: Graduate Admissions (GAPE) requires that you submit a WES (Basic or ICAP) evaluation. Directions are available on the WES (World Education Services) website, https://www.wes.org/.
- A preferred GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, last 60 semester/90 quarter units.
- GMAT or GRE: Scores at the 50th percentile in both the verbal and quantitative sections of the exam. Conditional on the approval of the MBA Director, the GMAT/GRE requirement may be waived if the applicant has any of following.
Earned a Master’s degree or Ph.D. from an accredited institution in the United States.
Graduated with honors from the Lucas College of Business Gary J. Sbona Honors Program within the last five years.
A GPA of at least 3.2 AND completed at least 5 years of full-time professional work experience with increasing responsibilities and a managerial role over people and/or budgets. An interview with the MBA Director and/or a letter from the supervisor attesting to the level of work responsibilities may be required.
- English Language Proficiency exam may be required if you have earned your degree outside of United States. You may select one of these exams:
TOEFL score of 80 or higher (IBT)
IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- Pre-requisites: A grade of B or higher in economics (can be Microeconomics or
Macroeconomics or Principles of Economics) and statistics.
If you need to complete any or all of these courses you can find equivalent courses at California colleges or take them online through Straighterline. The pre-requisites must be completed by August 1 (for Fall admission) and January 1 (for Spring admission). Although only one economics course is required as a prerequisite, two semesters are recommended.
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation (optional)
- 5+ years of professional work experience
See the MBA FAQ section for detailed information on admission requirements, English language proficiency
The MBA for Professionals offers admission twice a year, in fall and in spring. Spring applications are open from August 1-November 1 with documents due by November 20. Fall applications are open October 1-May 1 with documents due by May 20. International applicants can apply for spring from August 1-October 1 and for fall from October 1-May 1.
For your convenience, please use the tailored step-by-step application and document submission instructions. These include the guidelines for your personal statement, letters of reference and exam scores. Choose the link below that applies to you:
- Student Profile: 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Program Type: Part-time, self-paced
- Completion Time: 24-36 months
- Courses per Session: 0-2
- Courses required to complete degree: 11 core and 4 electives
- Sessions: 6-8 weeks per class
- International Students F-1 Visa: Case-by-case basis
- Internship for Credit: No
- Schedule: Evening and Saturday classes, some online offerings
- Admission: Fall and spring
- Location: SJSU main campus
- Estimated Costs: All students: $35,700 ($850 per unit, program is 42 units)