Admission Requirements for MSA
- A four year Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution if the degree was earned outside of the U.S.
- The MSA program is designed specifically for students who do not have a background in Accounting. To qualify for the MSA, an applicant may not have a degree, concentration, or certification in accounting.
- An applicant’s grade point average should be 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units of study. An absolute minimum of a 2.5 is required for graduate admission consideration at San Jose State University.
- Applicants who have earned a degree from a higher education institution in which the primary language of instruction was not English must take an English-language proficiency exam. The MSA requires a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL, 7.5 on the IELTS, or 75 on the PTE. Please note that these scores are higher than the minimum scores required by San Jose State University for graduate admissions consideration. (The University requires an absolute minimum score of 80 on the internet-based TOEFL, 7.0 on the IELTS, or 68 on the PTE.) The examination can be waived if the applicant has:
-Earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
-Completed 3 years of full time study in a U.S. institution.
- GMAT or GRE - A total GMAT score of 550 or better is preferred, including scores equal to or above the 50th percentile on both the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam. For the GRE, a comparable score is 151 in Verbal Reasoning and 152 in Quantitative Reasoning.
- Statement of Purpose Essay
- Interview -The MSA Program admits a limited number of new students in May of each year. Not all applicants will receive an interview. Only finalists will be invited for a personal interview on campus. Interviews via Webex or Skype will be permitted under extenuating circumstances provided that video capability is available.
- Prerequisite Course - The MSA requires one prerequisite course for admission, Principles of Financial Accounting. The course must be the equivalent of three semester hours and completed with a grade of B or higher prior to Orientation in mid-May.
The acceptable course offered at San Jose State University is Financial Accounting, Bus 20. We also accept courses offered by other regionally accredited higher education institutions. Local California community college courses that qualify can be found at http://www.sjsu.edu/bsac/concentrations/equiv_courses/. Additional prerequisite equivalencies will be approved by the MSA Program Admissions Committee. Please send the course description to Dr. Laura Ingraham at email@example.com.
All MSA students must be eligible to work in the United States. All applicants who
hold visas that do not permit employment, such as an H-4, must apply for an F-1 visa
upon an offer of admission to the MSA program. The F-1 visa will allow completion
of the internship portion of the program.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2014
Document Deadline: March 15, 2014