Please tune in to VoiceAmerica every Thursday at 2PM (Pacific time)! Listen to one of our faculty, Rochelle McLaughlin, as she launches the birth of Revolutionary Wellness Talk Radio. Click here to listen live.
Winter Break Office Hours
A career in Occupational Therapy offers the opportunity to work in a fast-growing and rewarding health care field. Occupational therapists work in a wide variety of settings, including hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, public and private schools, community organizations and programs, outpatient clinics, day care facilities, patient homes, corporations, and private practice.
Occupational therapists help people participate in the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of everyday occupations. Occupational therapists work with diverse individuals, such as:
- A child with cerebral palsy who wants to play with other children
- A woman with a stroke who wants to dress herself independently
- A man with a mental illness who wants to work part-time, shop, use the internet and public transportation to explore his community.
- A teenager who has been injured in an automobile accident and wants to return to school
- An older adult with low vision who wants to continue to live safely in the family home
A career in occupational therapy begins with obtaining a Master's degree in occupational therapy from an accredited program. Upon completion of the Master's degree, graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination. Candidates who obtain a passing score on the examination are registered occupational therapists (OTR) and are eligible to obtain state licensure.
The Occupational Therapy Program at San José State University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). The address is 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449. ACOTE's telephone number, c/o AOTA, is 301-652-AOTA (2682) and its web address is www.acoteonline.org.
The total number of graduates from San Jose State University during the three-year period 2014 - 2016 was 235 with an overall graduation rate of 96%.