To stay current with departmental information, all RTVF majors are strongly advised to join the RTVF Google Group Mailing List and to keep their e-mail address listed correctly on their MySJSU account.
Faculty advisors are assigned alphabetically according to the student’s last name:
|Last name beginning with:||Assigned to:|
|A through D||Kimb Massey|
|E through L||Babak Sarrafan|
|M through Q||Alison McKee|
|R through Z||Scott Sublett|
Preparing for your advising appointment
You must provide your advisor complete information about you and your academic record. Please review the following checklists and bring all of the required information to your advising appointments.
Major/Minor Information and Forms
Students who declared RTVF as their major before fall 2010 may choose to complete their degree using either the old or new catalog requirements. See your RTVF faculty advisor (especially Kimb Massey, RTVF Coordinator) to decide which curriculum will be best for you.
- Change of Major form (less than 90 units)
- Change of Major form (90 units or more)
- Courses-Emphasis flowchart
- Undergraduate Change of Major or Minor / Change of Major to Undeclared
- Radio - Television - Film Major - Advising/Graduation Form
- Graduation Form - B.A. in Radio - Television - Film
- Radio - Television - Film Minor
ALL SUBSTITUTIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR RTVF FACULTY ADVISOR. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Credit by Examination
There are instances in which a student may receive credit by exam (or test out) of lower division RTVF courses (80, 20, 30, 31) because of prior professional experience, certification, or other type of education.
This is not automatic! It must be approved by the instructor of the course. Please follow instructions and deadlines carefully!
- Enroll in the class in which you wish to receive credit by exam.
- Consult the instructor of the course to receive preliminary approval no later than the first class meeting.
- If you qualify to test out of the class, the instructor must administer the exam before the second full week of instruction. The exam must be graded no later than the third week of the semester.
- If you pass the exam, you (and the instructor) must submit a Credit by Exam petition (link) to the Registrar’s Office (the form is interactive—you can type on this form). You must stay enrolled in the class, but attendance is optional. Your transcript will show a “credit by exam” notation. It is your responsibility to complete the paperwork by the SJSU deadline.
- If you fail the exam, you may choose to attend the class or drop it. If you choose to drop, it is your responsibility to complete the drop process.
Nearly Ready to Graduate?
If you already have submitted an application to graduate using the old catalog and want to switch to the new curriculum, please fill out the Curriculum Change form (link) and take it to your advisor for approval and signatures.
If you are applying for graduation (for the first time):
- Check the current Schedule of Classes for graduation paperwork deadlines.
- Pick up and complete a Graduation application from the Student Services Center, or download it from the Academic Forms section of the Registrar’s office website.
- Meet with an advisor for your minor, complete the minor form, and get the necessary signatures (only if applicable; a minor is no longer required for RTVF majors starting Fall 2010).
- Download and complete an RTVF Major form. Save the form to your computer in case changes must be made.
- Meet with your RTVF faculty advisor to complete the form. Remember to bring all required records to this appointment.
- Turn in your application to the graduation office in the 10th street Admissions and Records/Registrar’s building. Your application should include your major form, minor form (if applicable), and your application to graduate, all in a sealed envelope.
- And that’s it! Contact your faculty advisor with any questions you have about applying for graduation. More information is available in the online SJSU catalog.
Department Graduation Ceremony and SJSU Commencement
The RTVF/TA Department hosts a graduation ceremony at the end of each spring semester. A limited number of tickets are available to this event. Please contact the main office to verify that you are on the list once the date has been set.
The date of the RTVF program graduation will be announced in late fall. The RTVF graduation usually occurs on the Friday night before SJSU Commencement, which is held in the morning on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.