Mental Health: Training and Certificate Programs
MHFA is a 12-hour training course designed to teach individuals (trainers) methods for assisting someone who may be in the early stages of developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. The course provides useful information on how to assist individuals who have a history of mental disorders, longer-term mental health problems, or help identify those developing serious mental health difficulties. Trainers who complete the 12-hour training program will learn a five-step action plan to:
- assess a situation,
- select and implement appropriate interventions, and
- secure appropriate care for an individual experiencing a mental health problem.
Mental Health Ambassadors (MHAs) are the ambassadors, official envoys, representatives, and messengers of the San José State University Counseling Services. They have the knowledge, skills, and attitude to be an Ambassador and to accomplish the Mental Health Ambassadors' mission. They also are liaisons between the SJSU community and the SJSU Counseling Services.
Mental Health Ambassadors improve the psychological well being of the SJSU students and SJSU community through:
- Promoting SJSU Counseling Services.
- Increasing mental health literacy.
- Reducing stigma associated with mental health disorders and problems.
- Fostering a supportive and informative campus culture for issues related to mental health problems and mental disorders.
Suicide Prevention Training
Suicide First Aid (similar to CPR is for cardiac crisis)
Length: 1.5 hours
- The scope of the problem suicide is prevalent and preventable).
- Myths about suicide.
- Know the signs, ask questions, persuade the person in crisis to receive help, and make referral.
You will gain skills and knowledge in preventing and reducing suicide from a social justice and community building perspective.
Length: 7 hours
- Practical Skills: Role play (3.5 hours).
- Effective mindset in suicide prevention work -- clarify myths, empathy, effective attitude in providing support.
- Reducing and preventing suicide through community building, changing cultures, and providing intervention.
- Protective and risk factors for differnent groups.
Understand suicide crisis and gain skills and knowledge in helping people with suicidal thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
Length: 2 days (7 hours each day)
- Attitudes and knowledge about suicide.
- Skills and knowledge: how to connect and provide help.
- Practice skills in connecting, helping, and support people who have been or are dealing with suicidal thoughts or suicide crisis.
- Provide suicide first aid/suicide crisis intervention.