The Department of Special Education at San José State University offers Education Specialist (teaching) Credential programs for individuals who want to teach students and young children with disabilities. We also offer a Masters of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Special Education and the opportunity for undergraduate students to receive a Minor in Special Education.
Our graduates are advocates for children, have the knowledge base that allows them to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners and work as change agents to make the lives of their students in school the very best. They have learned important evidence-based best practices for teaching students with disabilities and most importantly, they are passionate about learning and education.
If you are interested in applying to any of the programs, please navigate through the Prospective Students section of our website for additional information and guidelines for admission.
- Department Applications for Fall 2020 are due by June 1, 2020. See "How to Apply".
- Don't forget to Apply to SJSU using CalState Apply - Check homepage for Admission Dates.
- For Spring 2020 EDEL 108D class (Mondays,7pm), please contact SpEd office for a code.
- Recruitment Scholarships are available for the first 10 persons admitted in Fall 2020 that are not receiving funds from any other source. $1000/applicant
- Information Session - Friday, March 27th, 4-5pm, @ Sweeney Hall, 230 - Postponed until further notice.
- MA Writing Assessment - Friday, March 20th - Postponed until further notice.
- INTERN INSTITUTE, 2020 - July 20th - July 24th, 9-5, @ Sweeney Hall 230.
- Supervision Application for Fall 2020 (EDSE 105, 154, 217A, 217D) - Due April 1st, 2020.
- Supervision Seminar, Spr 20 - EDSE 105 (1/23,2/20, 3/19, 4/16, 05/07)
- Supervision Seminar, Spr 20 - EDSE 154 (ECSE only) - (1/22,2/19, 3/19, 4/16, 05/14)
- Supervision Seminar, Spr 20 - EDSE 217A, 154 (MS only), 217D - (1/23,3/19, 5/7)