Primary care related gynecological services are available to all SJSU students. We have physicians and nurse practitioners trained in routine gynecological care and examinations, including screening and treatment of sexually transmitted illnesses (STI's), information and education on sexuality, birth control methods, and menopause. To schedule an appointment, call (408)924-6122. Bring a picture I.D. to every SHC visit!
Health screening examinations based on age and risk factors, rather than routine yearly physicals are generally recommended.
If you have a specific health concern, schedule an appointment to assess this.
Different Types of Exams:
- Screening test for cervical cancer.
- Schedule first Pap smear after age 21 years old.
- Usually not needed if a woman has never been sexually active.
- Subsequent Pap smears may be scheduled every 1-3 years, depending on past medical history.
- Please schedule your Pap smear exam when you are not menstruating.
- 48 hours prior to your exam, please DO NOT douche, have sexual intercourse, or use any vaginal medications, creams, jellies, foams, suppositories, or tampons.
- Can be done without a Pap smear to assess certain female health-related concerns.
- These exams involve assessment of gynecologic organs.
Breast Cancer Screening:
- Clinical breast exam is usually performed along with the Pap smear.
- The American Cancer Society recommends screening mammography starting at age 40 and suggests breast self-examination (BSE) as an option for women starting in their 20's.
- Information about BSE can be provided at the SHC upon request.
Birth control pills (BCP's):
- May be prescribed and used prior to scheduling your first Pap smear.
- If you are currently taking BCP's, an emergency pack of pills can be prescribed if needed before your next Pap smear is scheduled.
Referrals to specialists are made when indicated.
The following services are available:
Gynecological examination, which may include:
- Breast examination
- General health screening
- Pelvic examination
- Pap smear (lab fee charged)
- STI screening (annual chlamydia screening for sexually active women less than 26 years old)
- Vaginal infections
- Bladder/urinary problems
- Menstrual irregularities/cramps
- Menopause/perimenopause care and concerns
- Breast problems
- STI symptoms
- Birth control counseling
- Abnormal Pap smears with referral if needed
- Concerns, questions and counseling
- Safer sex
- Sexual assault
Birth control methods:
- Birth control pill
- Depo-provera injection
- Diaphragm fitting
- Cervical cap
- Ortho Evra patch
- IUC (intrauterine contraception)
- Implant (Nexplanon)
- Free pregnancy testing
- General counseling and pre-pregnancy concerns
- Referral to an OB/GYN specialist when indicated
- Emergency contraception (Morning-After Pill - available OTC (over-the-counter) if 15 years or older
Helpful Community Resources
- SCVMC-SART (Sexual Assault Recovery Team): (408)885-6466
- 24-hour Rape Crisis Hotline: (408)287-3000
- Planned Parenthood: www.plannedparenthood.com
- Emergency Contraception Hotline: Not-2-Late.com or call 1-888-668-2523 (If health center closed)
- After Hours Advice Nurse: 1-866-935-6347