January 23, 2012
TO: CASA Faculty, Staff, and Student Organization Advisors
FROM: Charles C. Bullock, Dean
College of Applied Sciences and Arts
Jessica Chin, Chair
Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED)
RE: 2012 CEED DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS - CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED) is pleased to announce a “Call for Nominations” for:
- CEED Distinguished Student Service Award (both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible)
- CEED Distinguished Faculty Service Award
- CEED Distinguished Student Organization Service Award
The purpose of the CEED Awards is to recognize those individuals
and groups that have demonstrated excellence in promoting and
fostering a deeper understanding of equity and diversity as they
relate to issues of age, class, disability, ethnicity, gender,
race, religion, and/or sexual orientation.
To qualify for these awards, the nominees must satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement on the San José State University campus
- Outstanding service to equity and diversity enhancement in the community
- Outstanding activities and projects that contribute to a better understanding of equity and diversity issues
Each CASA department/school is permitted three student nominations, one faculty nomination, and one student organization nomination. The nomination form is available at www.sjsu.edu/casa/awards/ceed/ceed_form.html. Please note the following when completing the form.
- Limit the “Justification for Recommendation” statement to 250-words maximum. (Statements exceeding 250 words will be disqualified.)
- Students/student organizations nominees will be rated on the following areas equally: Impact of activities, Collaboration and partnership, Leadership distinction (graduate students and student organizations only), Initiative distinction (undergraduate students and student organizations only), and courage and perseverance.
- Faculty nominees will be rated on the following areas equally: Contact with service recipients, Initiative and/or collaboration, Service responsibility, Leadership distinction, Courage and perseverance, Degree of artistic or scholarly distinction, and Serves as role model or mentor.
- Confer with other faculty and staff in your department/school when selecting the CEED nominees.
- Submission Process: When consensus is reached by the academic unit, the dept/school CEED representative, submits the form. If there is no dept/school CEED representative, then the chair/director or designee will submit the nomination forms. (Deadline for electronic submission by the CEED representative or designee to the Committee is Monday, March 5, 2012.)
The CEED Committee will review the nominations, select the top three to five student nominees, one faculty nominee, one student organization nominee, and forward recommendations to the Dean for the final review and approval. The Committee will recognize the 2012 CEED Distinguished Service Honorees at the Dean’s Awards Reception, “Celebrating Excellence”, on Monday, May 7, 2012. Awardees will receive an award commemorating their contribution to equity and diversity. The reception will be held in the Barrett Ballroom, Student Union, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Dept/School CEED 2012 Representatives:
|Academic Unit||CEED Representative|
|Health Science||Van Ta Parkemail@example.com|
|Journalism & Mass Communications||Kathleen Martinelli||Kathleen.Martinelli@sjsu.edu|
|Justice Studies||Alessandro De Giorgi||Alessandro.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Library & Information Science||Joni Bodartemail@example.com|
|Nutrition, Food Science & Packaging||Ashwini Waglefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Occupational Therapy||Carolyn Glogoskiemail@example.com|
|Social Work||Soma Senfirstname.lastname@example.org|