I hope this message finds you well as we start the final few weeks of the semester. I want to personally thank all of you for your continued dedication to our students, the work that you do, and to the California Faculty Association.
As many of you are aware, the CFA Bargaining Team continues to meet with the CSU administration. For updates on our successor bargaining, please visit the Bargaining Updates page. In addition, please continue to support our campaign for a fair contract by doing a short video testimony or putting up a “Forward Together for a Fair Contract” or “100-Day Contract Countdown” door sign. Please contact our CFA Chapter office for more information.
Also, in early May, Governor Jerry Brown will provide an update to his 2014-15 state budget proposal which will include the amount of state funding for the CSU. We are asking for your help and to advocate that reinvestment in the CSU is needed to get our university system back on track. Please write a letter to our governor today! Letters can be written by following this link:
Finally, let’s all celebrate our hard work this year! Please join us for our “End-of-the Semester” social on Wednesday, May 14th, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Flames Eatery. Please RSVP at email@example.com or call 408-924-6501. See you all there!
Kell Fujimoto, Psy.D.
CFA Chapter President—SJSU
The California Faculty Association (CFA) is the exclusive collective bargaining representative for the 24,000 California State University faculty, including tenure-track faculty, lecturer faculty, librarians, counselors and coaches in the 23-campus CSU system.
Visit the main CFA website.
Purposes of the CFA
According to the CFA Bylaws, last revised April 2011, the CFA is established:
- To strengthen the cause of higher education for the public good;
- To promote and maintain the standards and ideals of the profession;
- To provide a democratic voice for academic employees;
- To provide legislative advocacy; and
- To maintain collective bargaining agreements covering salaries, working conditions, and other items and conditions of employment.
These agreements shall seek:
- To obtain explicit guarantees of academic freedom, tenure, and academic due process;
- To create orderly and clear procedures for prompt consideration of problems and grievances;
- To promote and protect the professional and economic interests of CFA and all bargaining unit members; and
- To promote unity among academic employees and thereby enhance the effectiveness of the CFA in representing these employees.