Individual counseling facilitates the exploration and resolution of personal problems and issues according to the needs of the individual. Depending on the availability of both the student and counselors, Counseling Services can offer confidential personal counseling up to six sessions per semester. Pre-doctoral and practicum interns may be able to see students for a longer period of time.
Some of the issues often addressed in individual counseling are:
- Don't know how to cope with life circumstances
- Identity issues, including cultural, religious, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender, etc.
- Body image, eating disorders
- Difficulty forming or maintaining healthy relationships
- Physical or emotional abuse (past or present)
- Cross-cultural issues (including cultural conflicts between parents & child)
- Difficulty defining problems
- Marked changes in functioning
- Changes in thinking or perceptual abilities
- Difficulty setting limits with others
How to see a personal counselor:
- If you have never been to Counseling Services, please call our office at 408-924-5910 to schedule your initial session. You may then be scheduled to meet with a personal counselor following the initial session.
- If you have been to Counseling Services within the past year and would like to continue meeting with your personal counselor, please call to schedule an appointment.
- To speed up the paperwork process, you can download and complete the Client Information and Consent for Counseling Services form (pdf) and bring it with you.