Welcome to the Counselor Education Department at San Jose State University! Students enrolled in our program may choose to pursue the Master of Arts in Education with a concentration in Counseling and Student Personnel with or without an additional Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) School Counseling Credential (required to work as K-12 School Counselors in California). Our faculty work closely with students to build effective assessment and counseling skills, nurture reflective thinking and inter-cultural awareness, and provide the experiences graduates need to become dynamic leaders committed to advocacy, social justice and lifelong learning.
Spring 2019 Admissions: August 1 - October 1, 2018
Fall 2019 Admissions: October 1, 2018 - February 1, 2019
University applications must be submitted online via Cal State Apply. Applicants must ensure both their online university application and department supplementary materials (see below) are completed and received on or before the deadline.
- Please note that transcripts are to be sent to: Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations(GAPE), not to the Counselor Education Department.
- The three letters of recommendation and Autobiographical and Professional Goals Statement are to be sent to: Department of Counselor Education, San José State University, One Washington Square, Sweeney Hall 404, San José, California, 95192-0073.
- Once your online system status indicates "Referred to Department," please call us at 408-924-3634 to verify that we have received all your documents.
ALL Applications must be completed and supporting materials must be received by the Department by the due date. LATE APPLICATIONS AND MATERIALS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE.
Visit the SJSU’s academic year calendars to know the academic schedule.
Candidacy and Graduation Deadlines:
Please check the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations website for deadlines.
Candidacy Form: Candidacy Form [PDF]
Candidacy Deadlines: The next Advancement to Candidacy filing deadlines are:
- April 1, 2018 for a December 2018 graduation
- October 1, 2018 for May 2019 graduation
- February 1, 2019 for August 2019 graduation
Reminder: If you decide to complete both the Master’s Degree and the Pupil Personnel Services School Counseling Credential, you will need to complete 60 units. The PPS Credential is no longer offered without the Master’s Degree. See your advisor for more information.