Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
The Literary Incubator in the Heart of Silicon Valley
Our Program and Literary Community
A 48 semester-unit, 3-year studio/research program:
- A dual-genre program with concentrations in fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and playwriting/screenwriting.
- Curriculum includes writing workshops in primary and secondary genres, literature seminars, professional training courses, and internships.
- Connie L. Lurie Distinguished Visiting Author-in-Residence. Recent visitors include: Ursula K. Le Guin, Ishmael Reed, Kim Addonizio, Simon Winchester, Tim Cahill, and Daniel Alarcón.
- Reed Magazine, the oldest student-run literary journal west of the Mississippi.
- Center for Literary Arts holds readings, discussions, and master classes with writers of exceptional voice and vision in San Jose since 1986. Guests since 2007 include E.L. Doctorow, Denis Johnson, ZZ Packer, Cristina García, Yiyun Li, Mark Doty, Mary Roach, Salman Rushdie, and Tracy K. Smith.
Admission: Fall 2017 admission will open November 1, 2016.
- Admission is based on a writing sample in the primary genre, in which the student will complete a full-length thesis. Students must declare a primary and a secondary genre to apply for admission.
- MFA Admission requirements.
Alan Soldofsky, Director of Creative Writing
Faculty Offices 106