Steps for Completing a Master's Thesis
The Office of Graduate Studies & Research requires students to submit their thesis for initial review via email. Our does not accept paper copies of the thesis. Students are expected to follow the steps outlined on this website for submitting their thesis for approval by GS&R and for publication. Failure to submit the thesis as instructed may result in a delay in graduation.
Steps for Submitting Your Thesis to GS&R for Review
0. Consider watching the online thesis workshop , which covers the information posted on this website; provides an overview of the life cycle of your thesis, common errors, publishing options; and shows a sample thesis.
- Read the thesis guidelines.
- Review the information on this site so that you are prepared to email your thesis with the required forms by the posted deadlines to our office.
- Read the initial submission checklist (also embedded in the thesis guidelines) to prepare your thesis and accompanying documents for email submission to GS&R. Make sure that you allow enough time to prepare your documents in the manner described on the initial submission checklist!
- Email your thesis and accompanying documents to: email@example.com
Please do not email your thesis to the above address until you have completed steps 1-3. If you have any questions, please contact the thesis coordinator, Alena Filip, at 408-924-2479. Please do not email your questions to the thesis submission address, as it is only used to receive your thesis submission.
Your thesis must be received by 5pm on the deadline day of the semester in which you intend to graduate in order to be considered.
- Retain the automated reply acknowledging that GS&R has received your thesis for your records. You do not need to contact our office to check if your thesis was received. If there are any problems with your thesis submission or if any additional items are needed, we will contact you. Otherwise GS&R will contact you via email approximately 5 weeks after the deadline date, after all students' theses have been reviewed, to notify you of the outcome of our review. Your marked-up thesis will be included in this email notification. The timeline for notification may vary from semester to semester, depending on how many theses are received.
Steps for Submitting Your GS&R-approved Thesis to the ETD (Electronic Theses and Dissertations) Administrator for Publication
These final steps are to be completed after GS&R has notified you that your thesis has been approved. Please do not use the ETD administrator to submit your thesis for initial review to GS&R.
- Make the corrections to your thesis that GS&R has identified as well as any other corrections that we may not have caught.
- Read the final submission checklist to prepare your GS&R-approved thesis for publication.
- Submit your GS&R-approved thesis to the ETD administrator for publication.
Please make sure that you do not email your final GS&R-approved thesis to the address that was used for initial review. Your thesis should be uploaded directly to the ETD administrator. If your thesis has not been reviewed and approved by GS&R, it will be deleted from the ETD administrator and you will be directed to Step 1 on this website.
- Allow 4-5 weeks for your thesis to be processed and sent for publication. Both you and Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) will be notified by GS&R when the thesis process is complete.
- Congratulations on the completion of your thesis!