Forms & Petitions

Most forms are in either PDF or Word document formats. You will need either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader in order fill out and/or sign these forms electronically. If you do not have a Digital Signature, you will be prompted to create one when you click in the "Signature" field. You need to enter your information only once. After that, it will be saved for future use. Please let us know if you have any difficulties accessing or using these forms. 

All curricular forms are available via Curriculog

Please read the Student Petition Information before submitting your petition.

A | B | C | E | F | GI | M | N | O | PR | S | W |


Academic Renewal(pdf) 

**Student Form**

Conditions: If you are a graduating senior with a grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 in your major, minor, SJSU, or overall college coursework, you may request that all grades earned in a previous semester be disregarded, so that you may graduate. Read Instructions on form carefully to see if you qualify.

(formerly Disregard Previous Semester's Work prior to Fall 2009)

American Institutions(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Completion or partial completion of American Institutions requirements at other colleges.

 Appeal a PD 2009-05 Decision(pdf)


**Student Form**

This petition is solely to appeal decisions made under the Implementation Guidelines for the Presidential Directive 2009-05 http:/

Student must submit completed petition to the Administration building, room 159


Back-date of Degree(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: All degree requirements completed, but administrative errors prevented degree from being awarded.


CORE GE Equivalent Course(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Courses in any CORE Area completed OUTSIDE the California Community College (CCC) or CSU System, or for CCC or CSU courses articulated to more than one GE Area.


Extension Request Form (pdf)


Enroll in SJSU Studies (Area R, S, V, & Z) Courses with Fewer than 60 Units(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: This petition is ONLY necessary for Lower Division (LD) students, who completed their CORE GE and have passed the Writing Skills Test (WST), seeking to enroll in SJSU Studies (Area R, S, V, & Z) requiring Upper Division (UD) standing as a prerequisite. Even if a petition is approved advanced registration will not be possible.

Enrollment for Retroactive 1290R Request(Docusign)

**Student Forms** 

Students will use this link to initiate a request to enroll into a 1290R for a prior semesters.  The 1290R is a 1-unit Special Session course that allows for continuous enrollment after a graduate student has completed all required program coursework but not the thesis, dissertation, project, comprehensive exam or other culminating experience

Guide on "How to Initiate Process"


Faculty Release Time Request

 Must be signed directly into SJSU email.


Graduate Student Petitions and Forms

**Student Forms** 

Forms related to processes pertaining to new and current graduate students. All Graduate petitions are house with the Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE).

Graduate/Undergraduate Units Completed(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Completion of units during SJSU graduate standing now needed for second baccalaureate degree.


Intensive Science Plan (CORE Area B)(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions:For undergraduate Students, who have successfully completed in-depth coursework in science that is not certified for GE, may request an alternative package to satisfy those portions of CORE  Physical Science (B1), Life Science (B2), Laboratory Science (B3), and Math Concepts (B4) that have not already been met by approved GE courses.

Intensive Music Plan (CORE Area C)(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Undergraduate students, who have successfully completed in-depth coursework in music that is not certified for GE, may request an alternative package to satisfy area C. 


Modification of Requirements Based on Disability(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Verified Disability that interferes with ability to complete traditional requirements. See Accessible Education Center in Administration 110.


Non-Matriculated, Open University Students Taking Advanced GE Courses for Non-GE Credit(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Only for undergraduate, Open University, and J-1 Visas students who are not matriculated at SJSU and do not plan to matriculate trying to enroll in SJSU Studies Courses.


Other Undergraduate Student Petitions

Office of the Registrar Forms and petitions

Academic Advising & Retention Services Forms

Open University Coursework to Satisfy Graduation Requirements (pdf) 

**Student Form**

Conditions: must have applied for graduation and need these Open university unit to meet 120-unit for baccalaureate credit, 40-unit upper division credits, or the residence requirement for upper division GE.

(formerly known as Excess Open University (OU) Units petition)

Opt-out of Grade Forgiveness (pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: There are a limited number of Grade Forgiveness units available to students according to University Policy F08-2. Grade forgiveness is awarded automatically when a student is eligible. Grade Forgiveness will always improve students GPA so long as the second attempt at a particular course earns a higher grade than the first attempt. There are very few conceivable situations in which a student would not wish to take advantage of Grade Forgiveness. Form should be submitted by the course add deadline for full consideration. 


Petition for Additional Baccalaureate Credit for International OR Equivalent College Credit (pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: This petition is used to request unit credit for course work taken at an accredited college/university abroad or in the US, not granted upon admission.

Submit completed petition to the Admissions Office.



Physical Education Requirements(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Extenuating circumstances that prevent completion of requirement. See Kinesiology Department for challenge procedure.
Program Plan Template (doc)   
Program Planning Checklist (doc)   


Re-Admission Petition as a Former Student Returning (FSR) to SJSU for Undergraduates(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: petition applies only to former SJSU students who were previously enrolled as fully admitted and matriculated students. Students who have only enrolled in Open University are not eligible. Completion of this petition MAY result in a higher admission priority to a desired major degree program.

Reinstatement Petition(pdf) 

**Student Form**

 Reinstatement is a process that allows a student who has been disqualified at SJSU to become eligible for Readmission at SJSU.

Retroactive Grade Forgiveness(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Replacement of a lower grade (C- or below) with a better grade obtained when course was repeated. Read Instructions or form careful to see if you qualify.

Return to Earlier GE Pattern(pdf) 

**Student Form**

Conditions: Completion of all GE requirements prior to leaving SJSU, or extenuating circumstances beyond student's control that caused break in enrollment.


Semester Excess Units Petition(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Graduating Seniors who filled for graduation through the Registrar's Office on or before posted deadline will be eligible to register for up to 19 units without a petition. Graduating seniors  and students in good academic standing desiring to take up to 21 units can petition. 

All Request and enrolled classes must be required for the declared degree, or be related to languages, groups, or ensemble-based courses such as debate teams, theater performances, and other auditioned classes. If granted, approvals are only for the exact number of required additional units to add the requested classes. 

SJSU Studies Equivalent Course(pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions: Guidelines for non-SJSU upper division GE  courses taken at another institution (CSU campus) to have them approved for SJSU Studies (Area R,S, & V). Miscellaneous form only available to SJSU advisers, contact Undergraduate Studies.


Withdrawal (from courses or semester) 

**Undergraduate Student Form**

 Conditions: Use this petition to  retroactively drop ALL your courses for a past semester. Please use a separate petition for each semester you wish to drop. If you wish to drop one class only, use the Course Drop Petition form. Return this petition to Academic Advising & Retention Services Office.

Written Communication II (100W) Requirement (pdf)

**Student Form**

Conditions:  Completion of upper division composition course or demonstration of exceptional writing ability. Please note if approved, some departments required 100W course to graduate. Check with your major advisor first. 


Return to TOP