University Studies 1290R and Departmental 1290R ("RP Policy" Continuous Enrollment Guidelines)

Students of whom all of the following are true are subject to the policy: 

  • Graduate student
  • RP issued in S12, Summer 2012, or thereafter for thesis or project course
  • Enrollment in no other courses
  • Completion of all degree requirements other than thesis or project

In accordance with Academic Senate policy S17-5 (Required Enrollment for Report-in-Progress Units), the F12 semester will mark the start of enforcement of the policy in each fall and spring semester (summer and intersession semesters are exempt). Graduate students with an RP grade in a thesis (299) or project (often 298) course in the S12 or later semester are required to enroll in a 1-unit supervisory course, either UNVS 1290R or the 1290R course in the student’s own department if available. Enrollment must be repeated in each semester until degree completion except in cases in which the department requires repeated enrollment in the original project or thesis course. There are no class meetings for the course as it is supervisory in nature; however, there will be a fee associated with it of approximately $280. “Stopping out,” or voluntary absence from the university, will not be permitted in the sense that registration will be compulsory for this unit each semester. Failure to register will result in a hold being put on graduation until the unit is retroactively added; a late fee will be associated with the retroactive action. 

The policy applies only to students who are taking no other courses. All degree requirements must have been completed, as once students are converted to “special session eligibility” status, they will not be able to return to regular session status. Should any requirements other than the thesis or project remain, special permission will have to be obtained from the Associate Vice President or Associate Dean of Graduate Studies to return to “non-RP status.” The basis of this stipulation is that, whereas it is conceivable that students are working on theses or projects before completing the remainder of their degree requirements, they sh  ould continue to take units in those subjects each semester. Students who have RPs on their records only prior to S12 are not subject to this policy unless they earn another RP in subsequent semesters. In addition, students on university-approved, formal leaves of absence will be exempt from this policy.

The policy includes language that allows for a waiver of UNVS 1290R or Departmental 1290R enrollment if the student can document a lack of reasonable attention or guidance by the thesis or project supervisor. If the student has been prevented from making satisfactory progress toward completion of the culminating experience by the advisor, the case can be presented in writing to the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.

Registration Process

Registration for the 1-unit UNVS 1290R or Departmental 1290R course must be delayed until students are given the opportunity to enroll in other courses. If students have the RP and do not enroll in other courses, they will be eligible for enrollment in UNVS 1290R or Departmental 1290R. The Registrar’s Office will check to determine the students who are eligible and will notify the students via a MySJSU message. The students may then register online through MySJSU. No permission or add code is needed. They will have until the end of course instruction that semester to register for the course if they are domestic or nonresident (non-international) students. To maintain their immigration status, international students will have only one week after the Add Deadline to register for the course. In each subsequent fall and winter semester, students will have to register for this course and will be precluded from registering for any other. The RP grade in the project or thesis course remains on the official record until a culminating memo is submitted by the graduate advisor to the Office of Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE), the course instructor in which the RP was received has petitioned for a grade change, and the student has submitted a current Application for Award of Master's Degree form to GAPE.