To be eligible for the Career Development Fee Waiver Program, employees first need to apply to San José State University, be accepted and become a student working toward a degree. Employees may complete more than degree through fee waiver.
Supervisors may authorize the use of State time to attend classes during working hours for all units (except Unit 8) for one class depending on the needs of the department, or they may allow changes in work schedules to accommodate a class schedule. Supervisors are not obligated to do either, and employees may have to take fee waiver classes on their own time. The operational needs of the department must be met. Participants in Unit 8 may not take classes on State time.
See the Application Requirements and Due Dates page for more information.
First-time Career Development Employees
- Contact the Human Resources Administrative Services and Training at 924-2250 to have the $55 University application fee waived.
- When completing the application to the university, indicate you will be paying the application fee by check. Instead of sending in a check contact Human Resources and request for the fee to be waived.
- If you have already paid the application fee, contact Human Resources to request a reimbursement.
Returning Career Development Employees
- Submit a Staff Career Development Update Application
- Complete and submit a new form each semester