Bachelor of Science in Recreation

Rec and RT Logo in Color

B.S. Recreation

6/21/2019- Please note, we are updating our website. Some information may be incomplete. We are working to update as fast as possible. If you have questions, please call us at 408-924-2971. Thanks for your understanding.


All concentrations in the Recreation degree are currently accepting new applicants.



July is Parks Make Life Better month!

Parks Make Life Better digital flyer


About the Recreation Degrees

The recreation degree program, founded in 1947, has a core accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Park, Recreation, and Tourism Related Professions (COAPRT). The degree has maintained continuous accreditation since its first awarding of this status occurred in April 1987. The recreation degree accrediting body is overseen and accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The Council for Higher Education is sensitive and seeks to educate consumers when seeking a degree. They have posted on their web site links regarding degree mills.

The Bachelor's degree in Recreation is a nationally accredited program comprised of a core set of classes and courses split generally between concentration courses and major electives. Graduates completing one of these concentrations are eligible to apply for national and state certification. While the general recreation degree is the most flexible in terms of choosing related electives, students may instead elect to complete a more specialized course of study in one of our two approved concentrations within the B.S. Recreation Degree.

Information about the concentrations can be found on the links below.

Recreation Management

Recreation Therapy

Students pursuing the Recreation or Recreation Management degree find careers in:

  • event planning, includes festivals and special events
  • sustainable, cultural, and heritage tourism
  • non-profit recreation agencies
  • for-profit recreation such as theme parks and resorts
  • nature based recreation
  • federal, state, county, and city recreation agencies/parks
  • university recreation, includes campus activity centers

 Students pursuing the Recreation Therapy degree find careers in:

  • hospitals
  • rehabilitation centers
  • veterans services
  • non-profit agencies
  • assisted care facilities
  • schools
  • federal, state, county, and city recreation agencies

To get started, send an email or call the HSR department at 408-924-2971 for more information about getting a degree in recreation.

Whether you are transferring from another SJSU program, another University, or you're just beginning your studies here at SJSU, we will guide and assist you in achieving your goals.