San Jose State University recreational therapy undergraduates are eagerly sought after.
Graduates of our program are employed by hospitals, community, nursing, and treatment centers throughout the region.
RT Job Prospects Gain National Attention
- Named by cnn to be among the top 10 jobs to save the world!
- RT Salary Analysis for San Jose Area
- MONEY Magazine and Salary.com rate careers on salary and job prospects.
- o Recreation Therapy named as one of the best jobs in America
(Note: Salary is National average not Bay Area average).
Who Employs Recreational Therapists?
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Physical rehabilitation hospitals
- Veteran's hospitals
- Pediatric Hospitals
- Nursing/convalescent homes
- City Park and Recreation Therapeutic Recreation programs
- Community transition programs
- Wilderness therapy programs
- Adult day care centers
- Prisons/juvenile care facilities
- Private consulting
California Career Prospects
California Employment Development OfficeProjections of Employment:
- The number of Recreational Therapists is expected to grow at an average rate compared with the total for all occupations.
- Jobs for Recreational Therapists are expected to increase by 9.1 percent, or 100 jobs between 2008 and 2018.
- Continued increase in nursing care facilities, community care facilities for the elderly and residential outpatient settings.
Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics
“Job opportunities should be best for people with a bachelor's degree in therapeutic recreation and the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist credential. Recreational therapists might experience more competition for jobs in certain regions of the country as jobs in therapeutic recreation tend to cluster in more densely populated areas.”
Annual Wages in California
The median wage in 2012 for Recreational Therapists in California was $60,879 annually or $29.27 hourly. The median is the point at which half of the workers earn more and half earn less.
More Information on Careers In Recreational Therapy
- Employment Development Department: California Occupational Guide
- O*NET Online: Occupational Information for the Tasks, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Activities of a Recreation Therapist
- College Board--An organization that connects students to colleges and careers.Read about Recreation Therapy.
- For more information on salaries contact the RT program director:
Dr. Suzy Ross