Welcome to the Mechanical Engineering Department at San Jose State University! We offer an ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science (BS ME) and a Master of Science (MS ME) in mechanical engineering. Our hands-on curriculum and projects give students the best opportunity to learn and interact with our faculty. Our graduates work in many diverse industries in the Silicon Valley, including aerospace, medical devices and biotechnology, telecommunications, semiconductor manufacturing and equipment, power generation, and product design. Read more about ME
Who Should Apply
Do you like to draw and design things? Are you good at math and science? Have you ever wondered how the engine in your car works, or how products are designed, or how robotics are controlled? If so, you should consider an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering.
If you already hold an undergraduate degree, and you want to take your knowledge to the next level, take a look at our Master of Science degree program. Our graduate program caters to working professionals with evening classes and a practical, project-based curriculum.
Announcements for Alumni
- The new ME Alumni Newsletter is out! Check it out HERE!
- Come reconnect with former classmates and professors May 8 from 6-8:30 pm. Some current seniors will be showing off the prototypes of their senior design projects, so you can see some of things going on in our department. Please RSVP here by April 24 so we know how much food to get. We also have a limited amount of space, so it's important to RSVP. We'd love to reconnect!
- We are developing a new minor in robotics and would like to get input from our alumni. Please fill out a very short survey here.
- Undergraduate Graduation Application, for Spring 2020 grads and later
- Graduate Student Graduation Paperwork Submission
SJSU students/recent alums Mustafa Ihsan, Joseph Dei Rossi, Kshitiz Khanna, Joyce Fang Ming Lin, Nathan Millard, Salar Effati, and Prathamesh Ghankutar, along with advisors Drs. Yee, Barez, and Viswanathan, presented papers at ASME’s International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Symposium Nov. 8-14, 2019 in Salt Lake City.
- Fred Barez, ME Professor and Chair of Aviation & Technology, and Mark Pasquale, VP and General Manager of Special Programs at Lockheed Martin Space and SJSU alum, were elected to the Silicon Valley Engineering Council Hall of Fame.
- Congrats to Xuwen Mao, Atharv Datye, Shivam Singh, Vincent Souza, and advisor Dr. Zaidi. All four had papers accepted for the 2019 National Conference on Undergraduate Research. Only about 10% of submissions were accepted.
- Check out the Spartan Superway in the news!