Data Analytics (MS)
The Master of Science in Data Analytics (MSDA) has transitioned to virtual operations and services. Please contact the appropriate department for guidance, questions, and concerns.
“Learning from data is virtually universally useful. Master it and you’ll be welcomed
– John Elder, Elder Research
The Master of Science in Data Analytics (MSDA) program offered by the Department of Applied Data Science is developed in partnership with industry experts targeting students from diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
Starting in Fall 2020, the MSDA program will be offered through both Regular Session and Special Session.
Students receive the advanced education necessary to apply analytics to solve real-world problems by immersing them in the full data analytics process lifecycle.
Students learn how to build portfolios of data analytics projects by leveraging the interrelationship between domain data knowledge and emerging information technologies. Students advance their knowledge and skills through the integration of:
- Identifying domain specific problems, defining requirements, and establishing measurable organizational objectives.
- Performing data exploration, preparation, visualization and governance.
- Applying programming, statistics, database, data mining, and machine learning technologies to build models for descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Engaging in the development, validation and monitoring of data analytics systems to meet requirements and objectives.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate multidisciplinary knowledge to engage in practical data analytics projects, from analyzing requirements to managing data, building models, presenting results, and assessing societal impacts.
- Identify, use, and evaluate current and emerging multidisciplinary data analytics technologies and tools.
- Apply effective oral and written communication skills necessary for professional work including collaboration and presentation to multidisciplinary audiences.
- Perform independent research in applying data analytics to specific domains.
- Utilize quantitative skills from a rich foundation of essential knowledge to solve complex, dynamic, and practical data analytics problems in various professional domains.
- Work productively as individuals and in teamwork to perform data analytics tasks as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Identify ways in which data analytics professionals can contribute to the cultural, economic, educational and social well-being in diverse and multicultural local, national and global contexts.
Features a comprehensive curriculum jointly developed by the College of Business, the College of Engineering, the College of Professional and Global Education, the College of Health and Human Sciences and the College of Science.
Qualified students will have the opportunity to engage in internships with prominent companies in Silicon Valley. Internships may translate to future job opportunities on completion of the program. International students will have an opportunity to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to take advantage of the internship opportunities.
Outstanding Faculty: Academic and industry experts provide students with a industry-aligned curriculum and a wide range of practical knowledge and experience in data analytics.
Affordable Education: There are 10 courses, for a total of 30 graduate-level units, to fulfill the requirements for a Master of Science in Data Analytics degree. For Acedemic year 2019-20, tuition and fees cost to complete all 10 special session courses is $22,500. Refer to the FAQ's section for the cost of regular session courses.
- STEM Degree Program: Classified as a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) degree program and meets course requirements for F-1 visa holders.
Your Career Opportunities
Today most organizations treat analytics as a strategic asset, and analytics is central to many functional roles and skills. This program prepares students for a career in data analytics in almost all industry domains. Potential career roles for graduates include data analyst, data administrator, business intelligence analyst, and information research scientist. With a Master of Science in Data Analytics from San Jose State University you will have access to a wide variety of career choices, and to top Silicon Valley companies.
Applying to the Program
Please follow the Application steps to apply for the MSDA program.
Please review the Admission Requirements to see what you will need to be admitted to the MSDA program.
Go to Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about the program and the application process.
For any additional information, please email your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.