Physical therapy is a process by which professional care is given to restore health and function, prevent disability, promote healing, relieve pain, and adapt to permanent disability.
Physical therapy philosophy of care:
- P.T. provides quality treatment emphasizing function, through a combined approach of education, manual therapy, stretching, strengthening, and body mechanics with modalities as needed.
- P.T. teaches immediate and follow-up techniques to reduce symptoms and help prevent re-injury or recurrence.
Physical therapy assists in the treatment of:
- Muscle tension headaches/TMJD
- Strains & sprains: Ankle, knee, shoulder, wrist, back, or neck
- Surgery: Pre/Post orthopedic surgical rehabilitation
- Repetitive motion injuries: Carpal tunnel, shoulder impingement, and shin splints
- Lower back and neck pain
- Pain management and stabilization after motor vehicle accidents
- The first appointment is an evaluation which will usually last 60 to 90 minutes.
- Follow-up appointments last from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the types of injury and the patient's progression.
- These appointments include:
- Evaluation (or re-assessment)
- Warm-up exercise
- Manual therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Modalities (ice, hot pack, EMS, TENS, paraffin bath, contrast bath, ultrasound, phonophoresis, and biofeedback)
Physical therapy is available at the SHC to all current SJSU students.
If you feel you may be a candidate for physical therapy, please consult our Health Center Medical Staff and allow us to help improve your rehabilitation outcome. In order to see the physical therapist you must:
- Be referred by an SJSU SHC physician or nurse practitioner to physical therapy
- Fee of $10.00 for each physical therapy visit