Health insurance is not required for a visit at the Student Health Center (SHC). However, since there is no overnight, weekend, or long-term medical care provided by the SHC, health insurance may be needed to reimburse a portion of the costs of outside hospitalization, special tests, and specialty care that are not available at the SHC.
New Health Insurance Law:
Confused about all the new rules for health insurance?
- Your Student Health Center fee does not count as insurance
- Beginning 2014 most Americans must have insurance
- Quality health insurance is now available for students and their families*
- Many students (and families) will qualify for free or low cost options
Short Video for CSU Students Explaining Covered California
How do I get more information?
- For more information about Covered California, visit: www.coveredca.com
- For more information about the CSU Health Insurance Education Project, visit www.calstate.edu/coveredca
- OR follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/CSU_HIEP
To ask specific questions to your local CSU campus Coordinator, please email Jankee Dahya or Courtney Morse at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I sign-up for health insurance?
1. ONLINE at www.coveredca.com. It’s easier than you think! If you can do FAFSA, you can do this!
2. BY PHONE at 1(800) 300-1506
Three facts you need to know!
- *The Affordable Care Act allows most young adults to stay on their parent's family plan until they turn 26 (whether you're married, in school, or financially independent). This may be an existing plan, or a new plan the family signs up for through the Affordable Care Act.
- You can enroll in Covered California health plans until February 15, 2015! If you miss this date, you won’t be able to enroll until 2016 unless you meet certain criteria. Note, if you are already enrolled and wish to make changes for 2015, you must do so by December 15, 2014!
- For most Americans, having health insurance is the law. Many will be fined $325 or more if they cannot show they have health insurance when they file their taxes in 2015.