Thank you for submitting your application to SJSU!
We encourage you to check your MySJSU account weekly for any deadlines, messages and/or documents required to complete your application to SJSU. A list of general deadlines is also available for quick review.
MySJSU is the official communication tool during your admission and enrollment process at SJSU. If you have applied, your very next step should be activating your MySJSU account so you can check your messages and “To Do List” items.
Review the Steps to Admission
Our Steps to Admission provides an overview of the necessary steps to successfully complete the application process for SJSU.
You can view your current admission status on your MySJSU Student Center by scrolling to the bottom of the screen under Admissions and clicking on "View Status". You can reference our Admission Status page for detailed descriptions.
Your residency status is determined by the answers you provided on your Cal State Apply application. If you have any questions about how residency is determined, please review our Residency information.
Spartan Pathways is a university commitment to provide access to communities characterized by low socioeconomic status and historically low rates of college attendance. CSU eligible applicants, who did not meet the major-specific impaction threshold to the university are eligible to apply for the Spartan Pathways program. These individuals will receive information about participation in the message posted to their MySJSU student account at the time of admission withdrawal for impaction.
San José State is impacted for all majors at the undergraduate level. This means that
we do not have the enrollment capacity to accept all eligible applicants. If you were
not offered admission, or if your application was withdrawn because you missed a deadline,
it is unlikely that our decision will be reversed on appeal.
If you have a serious and compelling reason for reconsideration and you wish to submit an appeal, please read the following instructions carefully including completing the Admission Appeal Request and Cover Sheet.
There are two appeal categories available during the application and admission process for undergraduates-
Admission Decision Appeals:
SJSU reviews each applicant's record thoroughly during the admission process. The admission process is completely objective, based on the information submitted for that step in the review process. This includes some or all of the following:
- Self-reported academic qualifications on the CSU Application for Admission
- Official transcripts
- Official test scores
Therefore, for an appeal to an admission decision to have merit, it must bring to
light new academic information. Neither grades received after the time of application
nor test scores sent after the official test scores deadline are a basis for an appeal
or the reversal of a decision.
If you feel that you have been denied admission in error, please follow the detailed instructions for Submitting your Appeal.
Application/Admission Deadline Appeals:
Because SJSU is an impacted campus for every major at the undergraduate level, our
admission process is deadline-driven and we do hold applicants to our stated deadlines.
Failure to routinely review your MySJSU account or read messages posted by the university are not grounds for an appeal.
If your application was canceled for failure to meet one of our deadlines and you can provide proof that you took the necessary steps to meet the stated deadline, then please follow the detailed instructions for Submitting your Appeal.
Submitting your Appeal:
Submit all documents in one complete packet. Incomplete packets will not be considered
and may not be re-submitted. All documents, once submitted, become the property of
SJSU and will not be returned.
The following applies to all appeals:
- Appeals must be completed by the applicant and received by SJSU Office of Admission within fifteen business days from the date of the "missed deadline" or "denied" notification from the Office of Admissions.
- Letters of recommendation and personal statements or essays are not considered in the admission selection process at SJSU and cannot be submitted as part of your appeal.
- Applicants may submit a maximum of one appeal per academic term.
- Documents submitted as part of the appeal will not be returned to the applicant.
- It is our usual practice to respond to appeals within three weeks of the date we receive a completed packet. However, we cannot guarantee a response by deadlines you may have at other colleges where you have applied. We encourage applicants to consider all available educational options. Appeal decisions are final and non-negotiable. Because SJSU is an impacted campus, all appeals will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Incomplete appeal packets or packets submitted after the 15 day appeal period will not be considered.
A completed packet must include:
- A completed Undergraduate Admissions Appeal Request and Cover Sheet
- A brief statement completed by the applicant that clearly and concisely states the reason for the appeal
- All official documents related to your appeal (test scores, transcripts, etc). For appeals to an admission decision, official transcripts must be sent to validate the new information noted in your written statement. Transcripts must include all coursework and grades completed to date, plus an official listing of the coursework in which you are currently enrolled. Transfer applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges attended, but do not need to submit high school transcripts.
- Any additional supporting documentation related to your appeal
- Completed Appeal Packets may only be submitted by mail or in person to:
San Jose State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach
Attn: Appeal Committee
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0016
Apply to a Later Term
If your appeal is not accepted or you decide to continue your education via the community college system or at another university, we hope that you will reapply to SJSU for the next available term. Please monitor Cal State Apply for current information.