Spring 2014 Tutoring Hours:
9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
9:30 AM - 2:00 PM
The Writing Center is located in Clark Hall, Suite 126.
San José State Writing Center
The San José State University Writing Center is a unit of Student Academic Success Services (SASS). We offer a variety of resources to help students become better writers, from one-on-one tutoring sessions to our many writing workshops. All of our services are free for SJSU students.
Whether you're a science major creating an abstract, an engineering student drafting a design report, an art student writing a freshman composition, or a psychology major working on a case study, your writing will be judged by your instructors now and by your potential employers later. Learning to communicate your ideas clearly will greatly increase your chances of success at SJSU and beyond.
It's difficult enough being a college student, so why let a writing assignment add to your stress? We'll be your guides through the often bewildering world of words, and you'll emerge with better grades, more confidence, and the communication skills necessary to your success.
To learn more about our services, visit the "Quick Links" in the right-hand column. Also watch our "Virtual House Call" in the below video. We look forward to working with you.
Writing Center News
- Writing Center Director, Michelle Hager, and Writing Specialists Andrew Tucker and Jessy Goodman presented at the Northern California Writing Centers Association Conference in Sacramento on April 13, 2013. Their panel presentation, “Running a Writing Center as a Business: Creating a Professional Tutoring Environment to Enhance Student Success," was well attended.
- A group of English teachers and future English teachers from Thailand visited the Writing Center on April 5, 2013. The visitors also attended the "Reading Comprehension" workshop earlier in the week.
- If you're a faculty member at SJSU, consider attending a faculty writing workshop funded by the AANAPISI grant. If you'd like more information, please visit the AANAPISI website.
- In October 2011, the Writing Center conducted special workshops for 5th grade students from Horace Mann Elementary School. In the below video, those who were involved in the workshops talk about the experience.
- Former Writing Center Director, Dr. Linda Mitchell, wrote and published a textbook about writing and the invention process, The Glyfada Method.
- Former Writing Specialists Crystle Bruno, Jen Jebens, Peter Gambrill, and Fabio Coelho, along with Faculty-in-Residence Jan Hagemann, wrote and published a textbook for high school students, Commonsense Composition.
- For additional information about the Writing Center, please review our 2012-2013 Annual Report. If you'd like copies of previous annual reports, please contact us.