Dear SSS/McNair TRIO community,
The recent murder of George Floyd by police officers in Minneapolis has attracted worldwide media. We also must not forget Breonna Taylor and countless others that have been unjustly murdered by the hands of law enforcement in this country. Our SSS/McNair Staff stand in solidarity against racism which jeopardizes Black lives on a nationwide and worldwide level.
This is not the first act of violence and injustice towards Black and Brown people in this country. This violence dates back to 1492 and has never stopped. These issues are not new but we must all stand up against racism because it touches and affects all of us. Injustices are a threat to everyone.
In addition, we are all going through the COVID-19 pandemic that has illustrated the systemic inequalities for Black people in this country. These are recent examples of the injustice and tyranny faced by people of color in this country.
We recognize the impact these events have had on our African-American/Black Student Success Center and the community at San Jose State University and in the nation. We stand in solidarity with you.
Here are some ways you all can support our Black community:
Ways to Support and Get Involved:
Demand the sentencing of the four police officers involved in George Floyd’s murder.
- Call the following Minneapolis officials or email them using this template:
- Mayor Jacob Frey: (612) 673-2100
- DA Mike Freeman: (612) 348-5550
- Hennepin County Attorney Office: (612) 673-2100
- Join a phone bank organized by Stanford Students for Workers' Rights
- Sign this petition organized by color of change demanding the prosecution of the officers involved in the murder of George Floyd,
- Black Visions Collective (QT & Black led organizing committee) https://secure.everyaction.com/4omQDAR0oUiUagTu0EG-Ig2
- Reclaim The Block (Police divestment org in minneapolis) https://secure.everyaction.com/zae4prEeKESHBy0MKXTIcQ2
- North Star Health Collective (on the ground medical supplies and personnel) https://www.northstarhealthcollective.org/donate
Support Local Demands:
- Sign Reclaim the Block’s petition urging MN city council to defund the police, https://secure.everyaction.com/eR7GA7oz70GL8doBq19LrA2
- 26 Ways to be in the Struggle Beyond the Streets: https://issuu.com/nlc.sf.2014/docs/beyondthestreets_final
- Dr. Maria Elena Cruz
You can connect with us by emailing us at email@example.com. We will be checking our messages throughout the day and getting back to you as soon as possible.
Want to go to Graduate School? Don't know what that means?
The McNair Scholars program can help you get there! Our program helps first generation, low income, or underrepresented students apply to doctoral programs and assists them with a research project.
Stay up to date with our calendar of events!