Requirements and Procedures for Mindfulness-Based Healthcare and Human Services
The Advanced Certificate in Mindfulness-Based Healthcare and Human Services (MBHHS) program is a post-baccalaureate advanced certificate for licensed and/or certified healthcare and human service professionals who have completed an 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program. Healthcare and human service professionals who are eligible to participate in this academic certificate might include (but are not limited to) teachers, educators, counselors, physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech-language pathologists, recreation therapists, physician’s assistants, social and ecological justice activists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, respiratory therapists, massage therapists, yoga teachers, and other health professionals. You must hold a current license or certificate to practice. Healthcare and human service professionals who are not currently licensed due to a career change may be considered for enrollment.
- Apply for the Advanced Certificate in Mindfulness-Based Healthcare and Human Services (MBHHS) through Cal State Apply.
- Begin by accessing your Cal State Apply account and selecting "Start Your Application"
- Enter "San Jose State" under the campus selection, "Fall" under term selection, and "Source" under source selection. Certificate in Mindfulness-Based HHS (Special Session) is the designation for MBHHS on Cal State Apply.
- The application deadline for Fall 2020 admission is July 1, 2020. Be sure to apply early as we enroll on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Required CalState Apply Documents:
- A personal statement/letter of intent. Applicants must prepare a two-page personal statement/letter of intent (double-spaced 12-point font) outlining their goals in seeking the MBHHS certificate, and describing their experience with mindfulness practice/training, meditation retreats, current mindfulness practices, whether or not they use mindfulness in their work currently, and what motivated them to apply for this program at this time.
- A copy of your resume
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) (in-person wherever possible) course participation - applicants must submit documentation demonstrating they have completed an 8-week (9 -10 sessions [2.5 to 3 hours per week] with All-Day Retreat Session) MBSR course. Find an MBSR teacher near you.
- Additional documents if applicable - A copy of your degree or license from any of the following fields: medicine, nursing, caregiving, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, education, or social work. While a background in healthcare is preferred, it is not required.
Department Document Requirements
Separately from your CalState Apply application, mail transcripts with 2.5 GPA or higher from an undergraduate program to:Graduate Admissions - SJSU
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
International Student Requirements
International applicants (or applicants who earned their degrees in a country where the primary language is not English), must meet the following requirements:
- TOEFL score of 600 (paper version) or 250 (computer version) or 100 (Internet-based) or IELTS score of 8.
- If you are applying to the program from any country outside the United States – there is no need to obtain a visa. You can apply as a Special Session student, and complete the certificate online from outside the United States.
For more information about the program, contact the Advanced Certificate in Mindfulness-Based Healthcare and Human Services program coordinator, and lead instructor Rochelle McLaughlin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.