Nursing Specialty Advanced Certificate
units to degree
5 unit course ◊*
◊ Fees are effective Fall 2023. Fees are subject to review & change.
For more information, please visit:SJSU Degree Catalog
The Nursing Specialty Advanced Certificate program that is offered through The Valley Foundation School of Nursing prepares nurses to take the Certification Board exams and become certified as a wound care nurse (CWCN®), an ostomy care nurse (COCN®), a foot care nurse (CFCN®), or a wound ostomy nurse(CWON™).
The program offers a comprehensive wound, ostomy, and foot and nail education. This includes a strong didactic, evidence-based curriculum and a broad scope of clinical practicum experience.
To earn the advanced academic certificate, students must sign up for a minimum of two courses. Courses offered include wound, ostomy, and foot and nail. Students taking only one course can still receive academic credit. Wound and ostomy courses are offered in the spring and fall semesters, and foot and nail is offered only in the fall.
Students who complete the certificate will have gained skills in health maintenance, therapeutic intervention, and rehabilitation of individuals with wound, ostomy, and foot and nail concerns.
FREE Ostomy Clinic for Children and Adults
|Sign up for email notifications||Program Website|
- Flexible Hybrid Program: Classes are offered both online and in-person. Each class includes 20 hrs of in-person hands-on learning experiences and 45 hours of clinical preceptorship training.
- Outstanding Faculty: Academic and industry experts provide students with an industry-aligned curriculum and transferable practical knowledge and skills.
- Accredited Curriculum: All the courses in the Nursing Specialty Program follow a curriculum blueprint outlined
by the WOCN Accreditation Manual.
Applying to the Program
Applications for the Fall 2023 semester must be submitted through Cal State Apply between when the application cycle opens and when the application deadline ends.
Application Cycle Opens: October 1, 2022
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023
Document Deadline: May 20, 2023
- Be a registered nurse (RN) with a Baccalaureate degree, or;
- Have a Bachelor’s with a major in nursing, or;
- Be an RN with a Bachelor’s degree in another field.
- One year of RN clinical nursing experience following RN licensure.
- No GRE required.
*Students must carry their own professional liability insurance before taking practicum.
For you to participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.