The Master of Social Work (MSW) degree opens up new career opportunities for working professionals and recent graduates looking for a new career path. Whether you are in a field related to social work or are a liberal arts graduate looking for a career helping people, our MSW hybrid program is a great option. Already hold a bachelor’s degree in social work? Explore our Advanced Standing option.
This MSW hybrid program enables students to complete a graduate degree without having to attend on-campus classroom lectures. The courses offered are fully online, along with an in-person fieldwork/practicum component that can be accomplished near to where you live or work. The course schedule is designed for continuous enrollment over 2 years.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for social workers is growing
and the employment of social workers is higher than the average for all occupations.
|Sign up for email notifications||Program Website|
- Hybrid Schedule
Synchronous courses are held online, on weekday evenings. Students are expected to complete a 2-year internship component, 16 hours or more per week, along with required academic courses. Internships are completed in-person and traditionally occur during regular weekday agency business hours near your geographic location. Students are also expected to spend at least 45 hours per three-unit course in course time and study.
- Outstanding Faculty
Faculty actively collaborate with various California agencies to engage in community-based research.
- Transcultural Perspective
Graduates of this program are committed to enhancing the well-being of diverse communities and advocating for social justice.
Your Career Opportunities
The Master of Social Work degree prepares you for multiple job opportunities such as medical social worker, community program administrator, school counselor, clinical social worker, substance abuse counselor and many more.
Social Workers have multiple job titles:
- Child and family social workers
- Clinical social workers
- School social workers
- Healthcare social workers
- Geriatric social workers
- Hospice and palliative care social workers
- Medical social workers
Applying to the Program
The MSW program's application process requires submitting two applications, one to SJSU through Cal State Apply, and one to the School of Social Work through the MSW Program Application Portal. Students must complete both applications to be considered. Follow the steps to apply.
- A four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- A minimum grade point average of 2.5
- Applicants must have significant volunteer, internship, and/or paid work experience with groups such as Latinos, African Americans, Asian and Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, and marginalized, oppressed, or disadvantaged groups
- Applicants must have a foundation in liberal arts, usually achieved through general education or coursework in the humanities, arts, and social sciences. Your transcript must demonstrate this
- An English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE) is required if a student's baccalaureate was earned outside of the US. Applicants must satisfy the university minimum requirements. 550 minimum paper-based, 80 minimum internet, or 213 computer-based TOEFL Score or 7.0 Minimum IELTS Score
- Personal statements and writing samples must also show a commitment to working in the field of social work
*Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. Currently the MSW program is only accepting students resident in California. If admitted, students must be able to study and do their internships in California.
Application Period: October 1 - December 1, 2021.
|Application Deadline||Document Deadline|
|December 1, 2021||December 20, 2021|
For you to participate and receive credit from online classes at San Jose State University, your state of residence must have a reciprocity agreement in place with CSU. This agreement provides online students with consumer protection. For a complete list of participating states and details on the regulation, please visit sjsu.edu/extend/state-auth/.